cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LIQUID SHINE PRODUCT?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Last year there was discussion of a liquid product for fiberglass RV finish's that worked well. I was reading labels at Home Depot thinking it was a floor care product. Nothing there matched what was discussed. Any reccomendations on this topic? I normally paste wax but the front of my rig is hazey due to sun exposure. Any thoughts?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
17 REPLIES 17

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, my Zep finish is a couple of years old and still looks like I just put it on. There is no sign of oxidation or yellowing. If that does happen, I will strip off the old Zep finish and re-coat. Ammonia works well to remove Zep. Just make a stout solution with a half gallon of ammonia in a few gallons of warm water. Wipe down the entire surface and rinse off. I would do that twice just to be sure before re-coating.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
The poli glow stripper will be the best method to remove zep. Won't damage decals. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is my experience with Zeps on a 23 year old MH. After about 15 years in the sun I could no longer hand polish to get a shine, so I decided to try the Zep process. After cleaning with the bar keepers friend I noticed most of the oxidation came off fairly easily so I decided to try a paste wax and it took a shine. After 2 more years it would no longer shine up so I used the Zeps wax. It never yellowed and I only used 3 or 4 very thin coats. Thicker coats caused flaking where I used too much on the front cap. Knowing this I let the sides and rear cap wear off for several years before reapplying the wax. It will wear off in the elements not like a inside floor. The sides and rear cap have never been stripped. The front was stripped several times due to cleaning the bugs of with a diluted form of Awesome. MH still shines. Zeps is an acrylic and will not adhere well to a shiny surface and will flake off over time. I would not use it on a newer MH for that reason. It bonds well to a oxidized surface once the chalk is removed.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before you apply ZEP.. Read the reports from those us used it a while back and not regret that act.

Short story: I worked for a bit in a tow-company office. One sat when it was just me in the office I found the mops buckets and chemicals and mopped up. then stripped and waxed and POLISHED the floor.... Monday the office manager saw that floor (Clean enough to eat off, SHINING) and went out to check the numbers on the building and the sign out front to make sure she was in the right office or so I'm told.

FLoor wax needs to be removed and replaced from time to time. it is not a one time and forget. .Nu-Finish claims to need.. Less frequent replacement but I've never tried it. I use a good quality automotive wax (like Turle wax ICE or the one that starts with M I can never remember the name of) 2x a year.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
Just stripped and polished my navy blue 2006 Seaway center console boat in October. Nothing is harder to clean than a navy blue boat with salt stains. It would be easier to polish a curbstone. It took me two full days, but the result was a nearly factory fresh boat. I used the Colonite two step process.l purchased it on Amazon. I'm sure,had I been in a hurry, I could have done it faster,but I was in no rush.
I did a sailboat several years ago with a Zep like product. Looked fabulous from a distance (10'). Sold it a year later for my asking price. It still looked good, but the process to remove the old finish and reapply was daunting. Very labor intensive to do the job correctly the first time,and I just removed wax and haze. It would probably require a jackhammer to remove the polymer.

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
Will ZEP mix with 303?
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Zep is just an inexpensive version of Poly Glow which has been used in the boating industry for years. I have used this product for many years and it made my 92 rig look like new. Takes a considerable amt of prep on the front end but it last a long time and touch ups aren't hard. I have not experienced yellowing or any of the other negative comments referenced above.
Kevin

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, its Zep wet look floor polish at Lowes. I tried because nothing I tried would put any shine whatsoever on our 14 year old fiberglass MH. It has worked great. A thorough cleaning is a must then just keep applying coats with a sponge, no rubbing or wiping off. I initially put on 3 coats and have reapplied several more and it still looks great. I hesitate to recommend it for fear there might be some long term damage but so far I have none. I probably wouldn't with a new or nearly new unit as it is a floor product.
Jayco-noslide

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
If a product could be produced that didn't yellow and had UV protection, it would be. I have used ZEP, and yes, the results are amazing but it does turn yellow in time. For a while, it looks makes a faded rv look like new.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought some of the "Bug Slide" product as was suggested in a post here last year. It worked great. The best I've found so far. Made the front of the overhang look like new, however for the amount provided it is to expensive for me and I won't be buying it again. I'll just stick with "NU Finish" wax. It worked well on my fiberglass boats that were in the salt water environment. Nice finish, and seems to last ok. This spring I think I'm going to try the Turtle wax bug remover/protector next on the overhang and see what happens.

This "Poli Glow" suggestion looks interesting too, going to check it out.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My RV is now 15 years old and I bought it used 9 years ago. For the first several years, I washed and then used various car/boat wax products. It seemed to be an endless and frequent process. In addition to accumulation of dirt, black streaks were an issue and seemed to start again very soon after washing and waxing.

Three years ago I switched to Zep and have been extremely pleased with the results. The first application will require a lot of work. I washed with soaps and ammonia solutions to remove all traces of old waxes and finish. I then removed the oxidation by slowing rubbing with Bar Keepers Friend and a Scotch pad. After that application of the Zep finish was easy. I just use a small rag dampened in finish and lightly wipe it on. With a light application there should be no runs, drips or issues but it will take at least two light coats to achieve an attractive shine. I used 4 applications. The finish shed dirt and absolutely no streaks occurred for the first year. In fact I did not even have to wash the RV with soap. I just sprayed off the dirt. At the end of a year, it looked just as it did after Zep application. I did wipe on another thin coat. The next year I wiped on another thin coat. I will do the same this year after the Winter months. The Zep finish protects the finish from oxidation. I do understand that Zep does not include a UV protectant but that does not seem to be needed. If that is a concern, I understand the RV can be wiped down with Aerospace 303 and then Zep can be applied with no issues.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The purpose formulated product is Poli Glow, which has uv protection built in.
-- Chris Bryant

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this product Shine On but donโ€™t have any first hand experience with it. Iโ€™m tired of the Meguiars deoxidizer (which works good) but doesnโ€™t last despite using Meguiars polish and wax afterwards. The dullness just seems to reappear each year! Iโ€™m tempted to try Shine On. Iโ€™ve read a lot of poor reviews on the Zep floor wax and how it yellows.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
applied the Zep Floor Polish on my white fiberglass rv in july of 2014 the front of my rv gets direct sunlight in the mornings and yellowed badly after 4 years the rest of my rv is fairly shaded by trees and still looks good.
i am trying to get the zep off the front using the zep floor stripper so i can just wax the front a couple times a year but it has been hard to get it all off.
mine sits at a seasonal site all year so the sun hits the front hard all year long so that's my experience with it.