cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Load Range F Tires

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
My heavier landscape trailer has the typical Load Range E 235-80-16 tires. I've probably bought a dozen sets in my landscape career. But they live a hard life for the most part. This trailer sometimes sits for a month or more underneath a shelter but when I need it, it works hard. Today as I prepared to head out with my tractor, I noticed one tire was out of shape. I checked all my air pressures and they were pretty good. I brought them all up to 80 psi. But I was thinking that one lame tire had busted a belt or something. Once I got going, it was clear it probably wouldn't make it through the day. It was so out of balance, it would vibrate the truck. Sure enough, after about 35 miles of hauling, it went flat. My spare was pretty good so I was able to continue on for the day.

So now I'm on eBay and I'm wondering if I should go to F rated tires. I think G rated tires are way overboard for this application. 10,000 lbs, including the trailer, is the rare maximum these tires will ever have to carry. Not to mention the price of Gs are far more expensive. But I have two questions.
1. F rated tires have a max. pressure of 95 psi. I know G rated tires have such a stiff sidewall, that if you let the air pressure get really low, it could damage the sidewall. Are F rated tires the same?
2. Is this even a good idea or a waste? They're only $10 more per tire. But I just don't want to have a tire that may not be more durable in this application plus I can't run a tire that's prone to sidewall damage just because it sat underneath my barn for a couple of months and maybe a minuscule leak caused it to drop 50 lbs. over that time.
17 REPLIES 17

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
^Good points, if the OP wasnโ€™t hand wringing over $10 more per tire. Not sure heโ€™s even remotely interested in re-shoeing the whole trailer in med duty tires and new rims.

Grit,

Being as OP has already ordered new tires, my thoughts are out the door per say...

You're probably correct on not wanting to spend the $100-200 more per tire for the 17.5 or 19.5 tires.

Another size that might work better is a 265-75-16 krE tire. Iirc those are good th 3400 lbs or so. You can find all steel case versions of these along with 235s.

One issue I had not thought of, if backing the trailer over a typical cement curb at higher than base idle speed, that hit to the tire could break the cords due to the point load put on the tires...some wood rams made out of 4x6 or 6x6 material could extend the tire service life some. Then when not jumping curbs, these make great blocks when the trailer is unhooked.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Good points, if the OP wasnโ€™t hand wringing over $10 more per tire. Not sure heโ€™s even remotely interested in re-shoeing the whole trailer in med duty tires and new rims.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
I got 5-6 yrs typically running LT215-85-16 or 225-75-16 hauling a 765 bobcat, and tbo15 trackhoe on the same trailer doing landscape work. Typically 10,500 on axles, 1500-1700 hw. I usually ran cooper highway tires. Usually rotted in some shape or form before out of tread.
I choose not to skimp on tires too much in the 35 yrs before semi retiring 5 yrs ago. I did find coopers generally speaking a good bang for buck tire all around.

Marty

Coopers have been my favorite truck tire for years now. Both my F350s have a set. Never tried them on the trailers.

That would make no sense since Cooper doesn't make trailer tires that I've ever seen and a 235-85-16 LT tire would be a significant downgrade on capacity compared to the multitude of ST tire options in load range E, F and G, same size tire.

Hate doing long quotes...BUT.....

An option that might be better, would be 17.5 or 19.5" tires in a 225 width. These are more medium duty tires. A 225&70-19.5 is the same 31.5" as a 235-80-16. But at 3500 - 4000 lbs per tire with an all steel casing, should handle the issues with a dump trailer better than an ST or LT tire.
One thing many of us forget about dump anything's, is the rear most tire(s) get very loaded as your dumping. I've blown out a few tires on a 3599 and my IHC dump flatbeds. I may be ok with the bed down on rear tire capacity. But at 150% as one starts to dump etc as the bed goes up.
Same with my equipment trailer to a degree. As you load it, and in my case, the 6500 lb bobcat is on the rear of trailer, you have many more lbs than my tires 5500 lb capacity can handle. Granted my ramps have built in blocks so the rear doesn't go to the ground. They still can take a beating. Along with those are usually doing the dragging around corners, backing, Jack knifing etc.

A couple points to think about.
On my trailer I went from 15 - 16" and got better miles, years per tire. My single axle mowing trailers did fine with 15" ST tires with approx 2000 lbs per tire, or 6 ply 235-75-15's.

Marty

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lawnspecialties wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
I got 5-6 yrs typically running LT215-85-16 or 225-75-16 hauling a 765 bobcat, and tbo15 trackhoe on the same trailer doing landscape work. Typically 10,500 on axles, 1500-1700 hw. I usually ran cooper highway tires. Usually rotted in some shape or form before out of tread.
I choose not to skimp on tires too much in the 35 yrs before semi retiring 5 yrs ago. I did find coopers generally speaking a good bang for buck tire all around.

Marty

Coopers have been my favorite truck tire for years now. Both my F350s have a set. Never tried them on the trailers.

That would make no sense since Cooper doesn't make trailer tires that I've ever seen and a 235-85-16 LT tire would be a significant downgrade on capacity compared to the multitude of ST tire options in load range E, F and G, same size tire.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

blt2ski

Marty

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe my original post read wrong but I didn't think so.

My landscape trailer had E rated tires. I was contemplating going to F rated tires for $10 more per tire. I'd like to see better tread life and longevity. When I had G614s on our last toy hauler, they were fantastic. Excellent wear, never lost pressure, and an all-around good tire.

I'm not putting G rated tires on a landscape trailer. $10 more per tire is OK. $50 more per tire isn't worth it.

Either way, I already ordered the F rated tires off eBay. If this were my toy hauler, I'd probably get tires from a local dealer. But this is a landscaping trailer. It's not worth the huge extra expense for Gs and eBay tires are absolutely fine.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And as of yet, the OP still hasn't even alluded to whether his current and past tire choices for the trailer had good tire life or not....

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
So now I'm on eBay and I'm wondering if I should go to F rated tires. I think G rated tires are way overboard for this application. 10,000 lbs, including the trailer, is the rare maximum these tires will ever have to carry. Not to mention the price of Gs are far more expensive. But I have two questions.

1. Your thinking on G load tires are correct for that size trailer. If the F tires are a commercial grade all steel ply carcass then they also don't work the best with lower tire pressures.

2. If the trailer was in long haul service derating the tires pressure is never a good idea for several reasons.
However with your trailers part time operation and the F are a known quality tire then they will work better than your trailers OEM maypops.

Depending on how many miles of service your wanting you will get more miles out of a tire with thicker tread depths. Those F may have 14-16/32nds of tread depths good for 60k-80k miles of service. Thin tread depth tires (8/32-10/32nds) won't make that kind of service.

I have a 20' 10k car hauler/5.2k axles/16" wheels that has about the same working conditions as yours. This trailers duty is carrying my 7680 lb blue tractor/implements out to occasional job sites for you.
Gross axle loads run 8840 lbs to 9280 lbs depending on tractor implements.
The OEM tires were Provider ST235/80 -16 E at 3520 lbs per tire. Ran the first set for around 38-39k miles and 9 years. Lots of tread left but didn't want any tire issues on the road so bought a 2nd set from Discount tire. Their a poly carcass tire...I keep all my trailers tires (load C/D/E/G) at max sidewall 24/7.
The Providers first came out on commercial trailers showing up on haulers forums in the '10 era and are one of the first new gen higher speed rated ST class tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spend the $$$ and buy GY ENDURANCE Trailer tires you will thank me!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
On my last 2 trailers one equipment dump, our 14 yr 5er camper, , the 235/80/16 E 's were a joke, nothing but blowouts and poor wear.
Stepped up to 14 ply rated Korean made 235/ 85/16 G 's running at 90 psi, 20 psi below their 110 psi rating all steel ply radials.
Fantastic differance.in wear and no troubles in a dozen or more years and over 100k miles.
I have seen F tires rated for pressures and speed comparable to G , do yourself one better the few $ for the heavier tire run at a lower pressure has given us great service.
Its no brainer

Full agreement. Those that are recommending against upgrading as being overkill or whatever are likely also those that believe that door sticker payloads are also very important and likely have no context of equipment that is used commercially.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
lawnspecialties wrote:

So now I'm on eBay and I'm wondering if I should go to F rated tires. I think G rated tires are way overboard for this application.

:h

The text I put into bold is your problem, not the weight rating.

So, I guess you don't believe in "quality" if you are buying the junk huckstered on Ebay?

Couple of yrs ago, had a belt break on a tire that came with my 10K flatbed trailer with a under 2K load.. Trailer and load combined was just under 5K.

That original tire was 10 yrs old at the time and a off brand made in China.. I am still running the three other now 12yr old tires on that trailer since I typically don't tow it more than 50 miles one way each time.

That same tire endured many heavy overloads when I would go for a load of firewood and carry my tractor with FL and BH.. Two cords of green wood = nearly 7K plus tractor of 3K plus empty trailer weight of 2.7K = 12.7K or a bit more.. Have hauled cars and pickup trucks on that trailer, longest single trip was 1800 miles round trip.

Quit buying surplus tires off of Ebay and you will find the LR E will be sufficient.. Spend a couple of bucks more at your local tire shop, it will vastly improve your odds of getting fresher and better quality tires.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
lawnspecialties wrote:
So now I'm on eBay and I'm wondering if I should go to F rated tires. I think G rated tires are way overboard for this application. 10,000 lbs, including the trailer, is the rare maximum these tires will ever have to carry.

So you are saying that F is already more tire than you need should you UPGRADE to G? ... Uh.. WHY? I'd only upgrade if I needed the carrying capacity?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, the 10 ply/E rated 16" LT tires I have on my truck can carry 3,417 pounds so easily enough for the load described and from everything I've seen LT tires are made significantly better than ST tires.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH