cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long arm of the law..update

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
The guy that had defaced property at death Valley and the NPS knew he lived in Grand Forks BC? Has contacted the NPS and has apologized. Charges 'might still be laid' but his apology and attitude has gone a long way.

Some his friends in Grand Forks had spoken to him and one of them had called the NPS tip line.

From the NPS...DEATH VALLEY, CA โ€“ A man has confessed to marking multiple sites in Death Valley National Park with graffiti. Charges are pending.

Graffiti that included โ€œSteve & Lacyโ€ was found on rocks, a well, and historic structures in Echo Canyon, Butte Valley, Homestake Dry Camp, and Crankshaft Junction. Defacing any part of the national park degrades the experience of other visitors.

Park rangers had some leads pointing to the manโ€™s identity, and appealed to the public for more information on April 14. The National Park Service (NPS) appreciates that many people shared the story on social media and contacted the NPS with tips. The NPS Investigative Services Branch (ISB) handles tips on cases in all national parks and other NPS sites. The tip line can be reached at: 888-653-0009, online at www.nps.gov/ISB, or by email at nps_isb@nps.gov.

The man who confessed said that his acquaintance saw the story on social media and brought his attention to it. โ€œSteve,โ€ a resident of British Columbia, called the tip line himself on April 17. The following day he spoke with the investigating park ranger, confessed, and apologized.

Lacy is blameless โ€“ she is a dog.

Charges have not been filed again the man yet. Penalties could include a fine and/or restitution charges. The manโ€™s cooperative attitude will likely be a mitigating factor.

This graffiti happened in January 2019 and January 2020. Park rangers are still patrolling Death Valley National Park during the current temporary closure due to coronavirus. Through traffic is allowed on CA-190 and Daylight Pass Road from Beatty.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
17 REPLIES 17

dedmiston
I hate graffiti too, especially in treasured places.

The hostility in this thread is over the top though.

Closed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I do not want him in prison. I want him in the park with a scrub brush and a bucket cleaning up all the graffiti no matter if he did it or not. That would be justice. Make him UNDO it.

THEN ban him from the country.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not want him in prison. I want him in the park with a scrub brush and a bucket cleaning up all the graffiti no matter if he did it or not. That would be justice. Make him UNDO it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
How many of you self righteous people have carved initials in a tree?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
Prison is pointless. All that does is cost taxpayers even more money.

He should be fined the cost of cleaning up the damage he did PLUS costs of bringing his sorry backside to court. After all, he is the one using the services of the various enforcement agencies to prosecute his destructive self.

Perfect fine fitting the crime.

I agree.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Lock that dog up! Lacy put him up to it, and he loves her so much he'd do anything for her. ๐Ÿ˜„
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"imprisoned" which for graffiti would be ridiculous indeed."

Really, wnii? No graffiti anywhere would cause you to support imprisonment?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prison is pointless. All that does is cost taxpayers even more money.

He should be fined the cost of cleaning up the damage he did PLUS costs of bringing his sorry backside to court. After all, he is the one using the services of the various enforcement agencies to prosecute his destructive self.

Perfect fine fitting the crime.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Banned 50 years to stay out of the US would be my preference.
Otherwise he can clean the interstate shoulders along with others doing community service with no return to our National parks. Just being in the park to clean is too good.

I agree-- ban him from entering the USA
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Just like Andersen, he is โ€œsorryโ€ because he was caught. Letโ€™s face it, no adult would ever think something like this is NOT wrong, and it was done with complete disregard for everyone else enjoying an unmolested park experience. I agree with time2roll, ban him from the U.S.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
wnjj wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
I hope he is charged, convicted and imprisoned.

I don't. That would guarantee nobody would ever turn them self in again. He should be made to pay for the cleanup and then some.
So, in your world, people who murder, for example, just need to turn themselves in and they won't suffer being charged? Ridiculous.

Yeah, because writing on rocks is the same as murder and him made to pay is the same as "not charged". You must have no clue how the justice system works. Deals are cut all of the time if the net result is a positive for society. I also never said he shouldn't be charged. I disagreed with "charged, convicted and imprisoned" which for graffiti would be ridiculous indeed.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

I don't. That would guarantee nobody would ever turn them self in again. He should be made to pay for the cleanup and then some.
So, in your world, people who murder, for example, just need to turn themselves in and they won't suffer being charged? Ridiculous.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Banned 50 years to stay out of the US would be my preference.
Otherwise he can clean the interstate shoulders along with others doing community service with no return to our National parks. Just being in the park to clean is too good.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote: