cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at buying a portable black tank - suggestions?

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at buying a portable tank in order to be able to dump our tanks when staying at a site for more than 7 or 8 days without sewer hookup. Our black tank is 50 gallons and the largest one I see is 42 from Barker. I know some will say that we could use the facilities at the camp ground, but much prefer our own.
Thanks for any input.
Dave
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL
29 REPLIES 29

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
a friend had one years back. O the mess when he tried to use it. and then he had to use the quad to tow it to be dumped. and it was not the largest one.
i had thought about getting one for that camp.. but no i would rather pay to have mine pumped out.or dig a deep hole. my black tank cap? but never have filled it up. (small rv).
now fresh water is another thing.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a video that going viral to me....

I dry camp each year and found I can get the Rig ready for a trip to the dump station in about 10 minutes. I tow the trailer to the dump station and do the doo. I also fill up with fresh water... You will probably spend more time than that messing with a portable waste tank.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
I don't use it a lot, but I have the Barker 42 and I have no issues. Not sure I ever had to dump the black. Gray always fills first. Hook it to the truck and down to the dump station. I don't see a problem.

X2, I use my Barker 32 gal tote from time to time. Comes in very handy with wife and girls, and grand kids all taking showers/baths.

We use it only for the gray tank however, never need it for the black as that tank never fills up. A lot of people thing they are a waste of time/money but I take the opposite view; if it fits your style of camping it might be right for you.

Only thing I wish I had was one of the new 4-wheel models with the pneumatic tires. Those are nice!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
2oldman wrote:
OP is gone.

He is a senior member, and it has been less than 2 days. I am sometimes gone longer than that when traveling.

Or maybe he's tired of random people critiquing his bathroom habits...
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use it a lot, but I have the Barker 42 and I have no issues. Not sure I ever had to dump the black. Gray always fills first. Hook it to the truck and down to the dump station. I don't see a problem.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
OP is gone.

He is a senior member, and it has been less than 2 days. I am sometimes gone longer than that when traveling.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
OP is gone.
Not surprising to me at all...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP is gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
HOw long are you actually staying. A 50 gallon black tank can last 2 people quite a long time.
For the record I have a 42 gallon Barker that works great. I use it for grey water. While if necessary I would use it for black I have never stayed long enough to need it for black water.
The newer 42 gallon Barker tanks come OEM with rubber wheels.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pee in the RV, the other in the bath house. Don't use a gallon of water to flush. You can go a long time on the black tank doing that. Dump the black as needed and on those days dump it first. I usually dump the grays with the tote every third day and can get both gray tanks with one 35 gallon tote load.
Disregard the above if traveling with a teenage girl. You need FHUs with that.
Puma 30RKSS

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the new Rhino totes. Bigger wheels (less noise) and all the attachments you need. I think they come in 3 sizes, something like 18, 27 and 35 gallon. Comes with a built-in ladder hook.

I'm with Trackrig on the rubber tires. Someone rolling their tote with plastic wheels early in the morning is somewhat annoying.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
Maybe it's my hangup but I don't use my blue tote for Black Tank contents because, IMHO, there is no way to clean it sufficiently to keep it from smelling up the area where it is stored.

Grey water can smell every bit as bad as black water. That being said, we use the tanks sparingly when boondocking, and when we need to dump, I break camp and tow the trailer.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of a sewer tote, a buddy of mine made a bladder that he uses a macerator pump that he pumps the waste water up into it. I liked the idea so much that I copied it and had one made. I can offload about 100g of water at a time. Itโ€™s nice because we can shower and run the clothing washer/dryer like we have sewer hookups. Plus, I empty my friends rigs as well.

http://learntorv.com/sewer-bladder/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't remember what brand we have, but get one with rubber pneumatic tires and not the hard plastic tires. The one with rubber tires roles much easier though still a pain to use.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.