cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a more robust kitchen vent

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced my kitchen fan vent cover two times in 1 year. That flapper has something like 1/16 hinge pins and all plastic. We camp like 8 times a year, and I do ensure the latch is set when traveling. So, either really bad luck, or there is a more robust vent flap out there. Please post advice and experience on this.

Thanks
56Jeff
18 REPLIES 18

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new flapper and of course broke the plastic pins putting it on. I cut a section of coat hanger and vinyl taped it to the top of the flap. Fits great and unbreakable now.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also did a mod to allow latching the vent from the inside: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24397265.cfm

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure I could win the cheesy award for my solution. When the second plastic flap broke the ears off and came up missing, I was looking for something to just fill the gap temporarily and picked up a piece of foam pipe insulation I had laying around. I cut a piece off and stuffed it under the cover just to keep the bugs out till I got another one.

Well, 2 years later and I still have the same piece there. I did cut a piece of screen and placed in the opening to keep the bugs out, but now instead of opening and closing the little flaps that held the door shut, I just pull the edge of the foam pipe insulation down and leave the edge in the corner to vent the stove and when I pack up to leave I just push it back up. Keeping it simple !!!
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone I've seen is major cheap and cheesy. Sounds like a U-build it project
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

path1
Explorer
Explorer
The DIY people on here are pretty handy. Thanks for posting.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
My hinge pins broke within the first few years. I did this fix which my brother suggested and it's been solid for years since:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28264630/gotomsg/28268917.cfm#28268917

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try this: https://www.rvautoparts.com/Hengs-Damper-Range-Hood-Vent-Colonial-White-JRP2121B_p_3417.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjIWWxM_c1wIVhYKzCh2dMAgQEAQYBCABEgLrmPD_BwE
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
RVhiker wrote:
Is the type of kitchen vent that you have the kind with little plastic pins at the top and closed with tiny plastic levers at each bottom corner? That was the kind on our old trailer.

Our current trailer has a kitchen vent like this one. It has a cover over it at all times that is open at the bottom. The vent "flap" closes with two press to close catches at the bottom. It is much more sturdy than the old kind. And with the cover over it, I don't think it would flap itself to death when traveling if you forget to latch it closed.

We replaced ours with the one in the link above. We had to trim off about an inch in order to get a flush fit, but other than that it was a simple mod that took less than 30 minutes.
2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if above poster has a pic of the one he made? Sounds like good idea.

In the last image you can see the cable I was going to use to operate the vent cover. I found that the return spring affords just enough tension to close the flap and the fan pushes it open. I did not install the cable.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck, you can get a new flapper. They seem to run ~$5.00. A new like in kind replacement unit is ~$20.00.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
it has to be bad luck

my trailer and vent flap is from 2005...

I am looking for a replacement.. its badly yellowed.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My current camper doesn't even have a stove vent to the outside. No biggie though, we never cook inside the camper either.

Our previous 2 campers had outside vents with the plastic catch. Never had a problem with either, except remember to close it and clip it shut.

Maybe when traveling, stick a piece of duct tape over it so it won't flop in the wind.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
mine is plastic and it's 7 years old and still doing great

X2 ... I've never had to replace any stove vent. But then I've never had anywhere near the issues with the various trailers we've owned that so many here on the forums seem to report. Just lucky maybe? :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Is the type of kitchen vent that you have the kind with little plastic pins at the top and closed with tiny plastic levers at each bottom corner? That was the kind on our old trailer.

Our current trailer has a kitchen vent like this one. It has a cover over it at all times that is open at the bottom. The vent "flap" closes with two press to close catches at the bottom. It is much more sturdy than the old kind. And with the cover over it, I don't think it would flap itself to death when traveling if you forget to latch it closed.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch