cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lube pump wiring in motorhome

resqguy
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2007 Dodge Charger behind my motorhome. I had everything installed and wired up a few years back and it works great.

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my motorhome. I was wondering what the easiest way to wire the new motorhome for the lube pump controller. Should I remove the old one and transfer it to the new coach or buy parts from Remco and install them instead? Is this something most RV dealers can do or are Remco setups fairly specialized?
Richard and Galen the spunky Cardigan Corgi
5 REPLIES 5

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Will. Sure wish I could get a deal like that for our Escape AWD.

I posted this under the Mazda Tribute thread yesterday:

I got a quote from my Ford dealer today for a lube pump. YOU CANNOT BUY the pump from REMCO. It is a Remco pump modified for Ford and Ford buys only the pump and has developed its own hoses etc. As usual they have marked everything up many times just like most parts and accessories. The quote - $4,000 for the pump and they will give it to me for $3200. Installation $1,400. Do the people at Ford really think we are THAT foolish?

Not a hope will I put a lube pump on at this price. I have 26 months warranty left and will start towing it far more often. I've been on edge when towing because of all the burned out units and thus have not used the MH that much but now I'm saying nuts. I'll continue to follow the instructions in the TSB's to a T and Ford can replace it if it burns out. The lube pump prices must be darn close to the price of a new transmission.

I thought for my peace of mind when traveling the lube pump would be good and it would save Ford from having to spend 5g's on a new transmission. That was based on a assumed cost of $1500. I just can't understand Ford. Given their attitude I have to think our next toad will be the new Cherokee or a Honda CRV.
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
dleslie125 wrote:
William and Richard,

Might I ask how much you paid for your lube pumps and installation.

Thanks
Don

..Bought the lube pump kit, setup from hitchsource.com, cost around $1k IIRC (with free shipping). Installation (labor) was around $600, but that included them instaling the pump and tail-light wiring in the toad (van), as well as wiring, installing the control panel in the MH.

As I remember, I was very happy to get away with just $600 in labor, because the pump installation on our vehicle (Kia Sedona minivan) was NOT an easy one. Technician actually had to take the motor and transmission mounts loose, and raise both up briefly to get everything installed. Front fascia piece and several other things in the front end had to be removed as well. He worked literally all day on it, although they only charged me 6 hours labor.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
William and Richard,

Might I ask how much you paid for your lube pumps and installation.

Thanks
Don
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
You can probably keep the controller and buy a new harness from Remco. That's what I did when I upgraded.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a lube pump on one of our toads as well, a Kia Sedona minivan. Hadn't really thought about what we'd do if we ever traded up the MH, as I figure by the time we're ready to part with the MH, we will have long since traded away the van that uses the lube pump, and will not be using a lube pump by then.

Based on what I've learned about how Remco's lube pump, controller works...I vote for, 'remove the controller, wiring from old MH and install existing controller in new one'.

I know Remco's controller is not an overly complicated thing, but since you've had yours for a few years, you don't know if a new controller from Remco might have issues of some kind working with your wiring, pump, pressure sensor, etc. that you had installed a few years back.

You can check with Remco, see what they recommend. Thing is, though, their advice could be a bit 'biased', since they will want to sell you a new controller.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")