cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the neighbors angry

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
Don't go to a family campground like Lakewood in Myrtle Beach on July 4th if you don't want to see/hear kids running around.
It says in big letters FAMILY CAMPGROUND.
That typically means kids.

Older couple behind me gave us the stink-eye all weekend. I tried and my mother in law tried to say hi, but they turned their backs on us. Literally turned their chairs the other way.
4 families all around them with kids. We didn't know each other, but our kids had a great time. I think 4 girls an 2 boys from 6 to 12 years old. They're gonna scream a little.
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC
54 REPLIES 54

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We try not to camp on any major holidays but usually go the week before and pull out on Friday. Seems like most times people just want to let go, which is great, but sometimes its just to much and they have no consideration for the neighboring rvers. But this is also how you can tell the rvers from those who just own rvs. So why be miserable and adjust the schedule. Its also easier for traveling. Were a family and we try to be considerate of our neighbors but some just arent and for those its a conversation as most have no clue, after that its up to management to maintain our experience if they want us back.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

johngg
Explorer
Explorer
Ya know, I really don't like kids who are noisy. I don't hold it against them we were all children at some point. Some friends and I went camping this summer
We stayed at a state park. Right smack behind The
Playground! There were lots of kids out but they didn't bother me at all.
It was kinda fun watching them play. Some times I wish I was that young again!

run100
Explorer
Explorer
On a recent camping trip, we made a campfire to roast marshmallows, etc. It appeared our neighbors were (possibly) annoyed with it, so I invited them over to share our fire. They quickly accepted and we all had a nice evening telling stories and getting to know each other.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
My DH and I are usually without our grown children and the grandchildren, so we sort of enjoy listening to and watching other folks' youngsters carrying on around the campground. Hey they're outside and being active. They aren't so noisy and so far we haven't any running through our campsite or being in our face all weekend. The young men skidding on their bikes in the road in front of our site though scared me silly...fortunately nothing happened.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought kids could have a good time and respect others around them at the same time. Kids will be kids and have fun but they really don't need to be screaming at the top of their lungs. If they don't learn to respect others around them when they are a kid then they probably never will and will call the neighbour a grumpy old fool.
I enjoy kids having a good time and will encourage them to have a good time.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
True rvers are very considerate of their site and the rvers around them. However there is a breed of weekend warriors that just dont care. They are out to have fun regardless of the people around them.

Exactly.

I wish there was a way to filter them at the gate. I fail to see how "family campground" equates to unbridled noise at the expense of the rest of the folks who had to pay to have THEIR family camp out.

Nothing worse than un-attentive parents who somehow think their children's good time should be allowed to occur regardless of the rest of the paying campers.

It's like the kid who kicks your chair all the way through the movie you just paid to see. I'm sure OP would be fine with that....
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I'd also add that what a parent considers "kids being kids" is often "kids out of control" to everyone else (including other parents). There are levels of "screaming" also - there's yelling words, shrieking in high pitched tones, etc.

I also think that the term "family campground" is misleading. What exactly is a family campground? Is it one that offers amenities like playgrounds and face painting? Or is it simply a campground not dedicated to "adult activities not appropriate for children"? Who made the determination that the campground is for families and therefore an adult couple shouldn't be able to stay and expect not to hear kids screaming all day?

To me, the question "why did they choose to camp here?" is unfair. Why shouldn't they camp there? Why should they have to disperse camp to enjoy the outdoors their way? Why is it that those who keep to themselves are wrong and those bringing food and fun for other people's kids "doing it right"?

I'm not saying this as an attack against the OP or anyone else - just pointing out that we all share the outdoors and none have a greater right to it than anyone else.

This.

Common courtesy applies regardless of when and where you are. I'm sure if someone cranked Metallica all day someone could find it overwhelming, but it's no different than kids screaming all day long.

The average camping fee doesn't include "screaming brats at no extra charge.."
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
wow..who knew.. lol.. very nice and I would LOVE that..might not ever leave..:D
RooCamper...
Retired and loving every minute of it !!

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Roo Camper wrote:

am I reading that right?.. sites with hot tubs? :?

Just one of more than you might think

http://www.guadalupecanyonoasis.com/HotTubs.html
‘Love is what’s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.’ - Elain - age 8

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Shortly after I retired in 1998, I headed for MB. By myself. I stayed at one of the big three CGs (I don't remember which one). They asked me if I wanted to be near the beach (I didn't) so they assigned me one back about half way. It was a bigger site and paved, unlike the beachfront sites. A couple of years later, I returned and stayed at Willow Tree, on the N.C./S.C. border and about 12 miles from the beach. Even better. The sites were huge, and many had their own hot tub.
Those folks just didn't do their homework. I don't mind kids running around. Its their job. But if you don't like kids running around, don't go to a popular beach area when school is out for the summer.

am I reading that right?.. sites with hot tubs? :?
RooCamper...
Retired and loving every minute of it !!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always, always, ALWAYS fill their mouths before attempting to poke a kid with a sharp instrument. 🙂 My German Shepherd used to shriek like that when her nails got cut.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Those who don't like screamers would have despised my 7 y/o nephew's antics whilst attempting to take splinter out of his finger at the campsite earlier this month. Actually I didn't want to be there either....
He finally let me have at it when doughnut holes "fell from the sky" courtesy of the man. Apparently it's difficult to scream bloody murder when yer mouth is stuffed with jelly, dough and powdered sugar. First time I've found a true use for junk food:).

like - that's as good a reason to scream as any 🙂
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Those who don't like screamers would have despised my 7 y/o nephew's antics whilst attempting to take splinter out of his finger at the campsite earlier this month. Actually I didn't want to be there either....
He finally let me have at it when doughnut holes "fell from the sky" courtesy of the man. Apparently it's difficult to scream bloody murder when yer mouth is stuffed with jelly, dough and powdered sugar. First time I've found a true use for junk food:).

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
medical daily - scream
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal