cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memory Foam Mattress - Winter Storage

moe_f
Explorer
Explorer
Am considering replacing my current 'original' mattress with a memory foam type.

Question for those who have memory foam mattresses? Do you remove the mattress over the winter or leave it in the unit. If it is left in the unit do you take any special precautions? I live in Southern Ontario where the temperature can drop to -20 degrees C. (-5 F).

thanks
11 REPLIES 11

moe_f
Explorer
Explorer
Original poster here, Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

I was mostly concerned with the impact moisture might have on the mattress with possible growth of mold. Mice were also a concern. Although the storage area is gravel there is grass about 50 feet away and each year I remove a couple of mice from traps set up in the fall.

Have a great day and stay safe.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
No problem in the winter UNLESS you want to sleep on it when it's cold. Just as firm as sleeping on the floor ๐Ÿ™‚

Agreed! When we arrived at our (cold) destination we'd fire up the furnace and pull back the blankets so the mattress could warm a bit. Otherwise, it's like sleeping on a brick...LOL!

I also just had a wireless thermostat installed in the northern sticks-and-bricks, so I can warm it up for a week before we arrive back home. For same reason.....

I turn on the furnace at the fuel stop before I'm going to sleep, arrive with a preheated trailer ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in Alaska and leave the memory foam in both my TT and MH all winter made up with the sheets and blankets. They've been that way for seven years.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
No problem in the winter UNLESS you want to sleep on it when it's cold. Just as firm as sleeping on the floor ๐Ÿ™‚

But as it warms up with your body heat, it softens up quickly. One word of caution, don't use a heating pad or heated mattress pad on memory foam. The heat can cause it to break down prematurely.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

Agreed! When we arrived at our (cold) destination we'd fire up the furnace and pull back the blankets so the mattress could warm a bit. Otherwise, it's like sleeping on a brick...LOL!

I also just had a wireless thermostat installed in the northern sticks-and-bricks, so I can warm it up for a week before we arrive back home. For same reason.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your mattress will not be affected by the cold.
Your mattress is 6 years old and has stayed outside in the winter since new with no ill effects.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mine came with a premium memory foam mattress, that was just a bit firm. I added a 2" gel infused memory foam topper, and have noticed no ill effects from Winter storage temps below zero. I leave the mattress cover and sheet on over Winter, and wash them in Spring.

I'll add that the two make a great sleeping combo.

Jerry

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a memory foam mattress topper in my RV. No problems at all with it being in freezing weather. It does get very much stiffer/firmer in cold temperatures, which is not a concern unless you plan on sleeping on it in those conditions.

Very, very few household goods are harmed by sitting in cold temperatures (excepting obvious things like canned foods or cleaning supplies that are water-based and so can freeze and burst their containers). Truck trailers or rail cars used for transporting said items are not generally heated. The foam in a mattress is not extraordinarily different than the foam in car seats or insulation boards, nor are the electronic components in a household TV set fundamentally different than those in a car radio that sits out in the cold.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I came across this article which might be of help: https://everythingwhat.com/can-a-tempurpedic-mattress-freeze

It gives some tips if you are concerned. Other reading has indicated as long as no moisture has permeated the mattress you should be OK.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
What are your concerns? Foam is foam and fairly impervious to temperature changes other than it will be stiffer lying on it in freezing weather ( I see this as a moot point). If you are concerned about rodents etc, that's different and a concern regardless of weather.

We leave ours in the FW and have no concerns whatsoever. Have had MF mattresses in all our previous RV's for 10 years and they've seen sub 0 temps. Never an issue.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS