cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Millage tax

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://nypost.com/2021/03/26/white-house-might-tax-motorists-by-the-mile-to-fund-infrastructure-plan/
Not great news for people that drive. That would include us i supose.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.
14 REPLIES 14

dedmiston
There's no way this will end well (the tax or the thread).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
This is what everyone has been talking about! How are they going to know the miles we drive? They will want something in the car to track mileage.

Good luck people!

Every car has an odometer last time I checked.
Here we need to report miles driven every year when renewing plate sticker,not sure why as the cost is always the same @ 120$ for com. truck

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
Yes, if they get rid of fuel tax then Im not quite as opposed to miles tax, but miles tax is very bad. very very very very very bad!!! wake up sleepers!
govt does not need to be telling you when to stop driving...
stop voting for fools.

EV cars dont pay gas tax so of course the road funds will be lower. In reality EVs will never be sustainable, as good as it might sound to your woke opinion of things. They can tax EV cars and track it and throw you in jail for messing with the numbers. The scary part is as soon as they tax EVs they will be after your gas cars, and that is unstoppable. Stop it now!!!! !!!!

Oil makes gas and diesel which we use for driving.
Oil makes A TONE OF OTHER STUFF including asphalt, asprin, make-up, plastics, plastics, polymers, and thousands and thousands of other stuff made from hydro carbons. Without a place to sell the gasoline and diesel and propane that comes off the distillation process then it will not be economically feasible to keep distilling oil just for plastics or vasoline or other uses of hydro carbons, besides
what would they do with the gasoline and diesel and propane that comes out of the process? You cant just dump it in our water supply like they do fluoride.
Gas is here to stay.

Aspirin is made from oil??? LOL
Better check your source of info again.

Anything made from oil can be made from Hemp plant including fuel and biodegradable plastics

https://youtu.be/hYPqs304_yI

Btw all Tesla drivers love it so much they will never go back to dirty fuel.In about ten years most vehicles will be electric imo

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The way you collect the tax is having owners report the odometer reading at vehicle registration renewal. Tax is based upon miles driven and the weight/class of the vehicle. Place a huge penalty on incorrect reporting odometer readings and check the reported numbers when the title is transferred. Feds get a portion of the tax and states get the other portion.

The problem with all taxes is the intended use of the money is often not how it is spent.

The other options are to use electronic tolling on most roads or let the roads and bridges continue to decay.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Check back many, many decades when the progressives initiated a temporary INCOME TAX...
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
When I first read of this proposal in the Washington Post, it was mentioned 3 states are in the process of studying or have implemented a mileage tax. I agree the motor fuel tax should be abolished if mileage taxation is enacted, but.........

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Lol they did that in nj with the parkway, was supost to be toll free in the 1980s? Didnt work out that way.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is, they will mile/tax electric vehicles first. Then gas/diesel vehicles will soon follow.
The fuel tax will remain in place.

Then some elected officials will decide to put a mile tax on all electricity. That way people who don't drive or own a vehicle can help pay for highway maintenance. It will be called a 'temporary' electricity tax.
And we all know what that means.

Pennsylvania is considering tolling some interstate bridges to pay for repairs.
Of course, it will be a temporary tax.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
How about we keep the billions we give away and use it for what we need.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, if they get rid of fuel tax then Im not quite as opposed to miles tax, but miles tax is very bad. very very very very very bad!!! wake up sleepers!
govt does not need to be telling you when to stop driving...
stop voting for fools.

EV cars dont pay gas tax so of course the road funds will be lower. In reality EVs will never be sustainable, as good as it might sound to your woke opinion of things. They can tax EV cars and track it and throw you in jail for messing with the numbers. The scary part is as soon as they tax EVs they will be after your gas cars, and that is unstoppable. Stop it now!!!! !!!!

Oil makes gas and diesel which we use for driving.
Oil makes A TONE OF OTHER STUFF including asphalt, asprin, make-up, plastics, plastics, polymers, and thousands and thousands of other stuff made from hydro carbons. Without a place to sell the gasoline and diesel and propane that comes off the distillation process then it will not be economically feasible to keep distilling oil just for plastics or vasoline or other uses of hydro carbons, besides
what would they do with the gasoline and diesel and propane that comes out of the process? You cant just dump it in our water supply like they do fluoride.
Gas is here to stay.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m in favor of a miles driven tax versus the fuel tax, assuming I donโ€™t have to pay both! I figure paying by the mile will be cheaper than paying per gallon for my 7 mpg motorhome. A few issues would need to be worked out such as when you swap cars, heavier vehicles should pay more than lite cars or motorcycles as the heavier ones do more damage to the roads (such as making grooves).
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
3 realities. One, EV's don't pay motor fuel taxes. Two, the federal gas tax hasn't been increased in 3 decades. Road infrastructure isn't free.

It's a pick your poison situation, but necessary.

While that is true, the states raise there gas taxes. But i dont think they earmark it for fixing the roads.

They will probably tie it into yearly inspections, then hit you up at the end of the year for what you owe. They will probably still charge you the tax thats allready in place also. Lol.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
3 realities. One, EV's don't pay motor fuel taxes. Two, the federal gas tax hasn't been increased in 3 decades. Road infrastructure isn't free.

It's a pick your poison situation, but necessary.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
This is what everyone has been talking about! How are they going to know the miles we drive? They will want something in the car to track mileage.

Good luck people!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!