cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MN changing to EZ-Pass

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was announced on WCCO Radio this morning that MN is changing to EZ-Pass. Up until now they have had something called MN-Pass. They have now decided to go to EZ-Pass because 19 other states are using that system. It will cost Minnesotans nothing to change to the new system.

I have no idea what any of this means. I have lived my whole life in the rural part of MN. However, I have seen some other members here talk about it so I thought I would let you know.
19 REPLIES 19

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
The Mass Pike has no toll collectors either. I used the EZ Pass in Texas and never saw it posted to my account. I called both EZ Pass and Texas Tolls trying to pay and neither had any record of me using those toll roads. I don't want to find out on a traffic stop that there's an arrest warrant issued, but I did all I could do.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
New York State Thruway is now electronic and if you don't have an EZ Pass they bill you by mail. Don't know what the surcharge is for that, but I'm sure there is one.

Having personal experience with that, I can report that there is a $2.00 per bill toll administration surcharge, and of course the toll rates themselves are the higher "cash" rate vs. the lower EZ-Pass rate.

$2.00 probably is about right for covering the costs of printing and mailing bills and processing the payments that are received; I doubt they are making any real profit on the toll-by-mail surcharge. On the other hand, when there were actual people collecting the tolls in toll booths, there never was a separate surcharge to cover their wages and other expenses related to the process of toll collection, so having an administrative surcharge at all here seems a bit excessive.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
New York State Thruway is now electronic and if you don't have an EZ Pass they bill you by mail. Don't know what the surcharge is for that, but I'm sure there is one.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
If you travel the toll roads in FL, you will definitely want a Sun Pass or acceptable alternative (EZ Pass is one) as many of the toll roads are doing away with traditional toll booths where you can pay with cash and doing toll by plate. Not a huge deal, but there is a $2.50 fee added to each invoice for toll by plate.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fla-Sun Pass is good in GA and NC. They recently announced a new Sun Pass transponder that is good in the EZ Pass network tooโ€ฆ mainly the NE.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We moved to Florida last year and bought the Sun Pass. We had a 40' motorhtome and towed. Was assured that the system could count the axles. No need to have multiples. We did buy a second one just so we didn't have to remember to take it out of one vehicle to put in another. Works like a charm.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
We actually have two EZ Pass transponders, one for towing and one if running solo. Just have to make sure you have the correct one on the windshield with the other in it's shielded bag.

X2

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gooma wrote:
I did not know MN had any toll roads.

What DrewE said :

Apparently they don't have any toll roads, per se, but some HOV/Express lanes that carry tolls at certain time periods for non-HOV use, and a couple toll bridges

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently they don't have any toll roads, per se, but some HOV/Express lanes that carry tolls at certain time periods for non-HOV use, and a couple toll bridges.

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
I did not know MN had any toll roads.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I was quite angry when they pulled the toll collectors of the NY Thruway.
I was "forced" to get an EZ-Pass just to accommodate the three or four times a year I use I-90

If you do not have one you get to pay a higher toll,and also have the privilege's of an administrative fee.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the two because in our area they didn't have the axle counter strips in the pavement and we didn't want to pay for 4 axles when running solo.
Now maybe with the new Electronic Toll system it won't be needed, but until I hear different I'll continue to change.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have used EZ Pass in NY and elsewhere since it was introduced. No matter where we go, with or without the trailer, we use the same transponder. Never had issues of wrong charges and were told by the powers that be that sensors determine how many axles and not the transponder. We do have separate transponders for each car but not for towing and not towing. Even going through the new toll road in NC one day with the trailer and two days later without it got it right.
I would suspect they like making tiny amounts of money on the money that is held by the system for each pass.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
OP - FYI

Supposedly a decade ago, all states were required to consolidate to one automated tolling system. Then exceptions and exemptions. Not there yet.

EZ-Pass has the system everyone else will be forced to use, but many states can keep their existing system and meet the technical requirements.

Most EZ-Pass states do their own billing and such. My EZ-Pass is from New Jersey. Got it in late 2014, and keep it active. Last time I had a charge on it was in IL in 2018, and FL in 2019.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT