cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MorRyde IS & Disc Brakes

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for feedback from other 5th wheel owners who have invested in the suspension/brake package offered by MorRyde. Is the upgrade worth it? We will be travelling long distances once I am fully retired next fall, and after visiting their company in Elkhart my wife feels that the improved braking power & smoother ride will be worth the extra 8-9 grand, but I am not too sure. Are there other options we should consider? BTW, a long RV road trip up to Alaska is in our plans within 2 years. We are thinking of getting the work done next summer BEFORE the Alaska trip. All responses will be appreciated. Thanks!

Updated info: 2021 Alliance Paradigm 310RL 5th Wheel
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Supercab 7.3l Gas/4.30 Axle
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL
31 REPLIES 31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I cashed in my pennies I had saved for many years when I retired. Thought I would really be rolling in it, ONLY $73. So yea I am on a limited income. :B

Had you sold that copper for scrap metal you could have taken your honey out for steak instead of crickets.

Probably true but it seems Copper was low at the time.

There is not much copper in a penny.

Seems the older ones had more copper but it was not worth removing from the sleeves and digging thru.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I cashed in my pennies I had saved for many years when I retired. Thought I would really be rolling in it, ONLY $73. So yea I am on a limited income. :B

Had you sold that copper for scrap metal you could have taken your honey out for steak instead of crickets.

There is not much copper in a penny.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog wrote:
I considered it when we purchased the Momentum.

Decided against it for two reasons.
1.Reduced ground clearance. We always boondock. This means traveling down some dirt roads that can be rutted or muddy. The IS hangs pretty low. Ground clearance is reduced to about the height of the tires sidewalls. This means getting stuck would happen pretty easy.

2. I watched a video of the installation. They drop the coroplast and all of the insulation. When that is installed originally, it is just a frame with some tanks, wiring etc. installed, and it is upsidedown. So it is easy for the insulation to be put where it needs to be, and then the coroplast is screwed down over it. That holds it in place then the frame is flipped rightside up and a trailer is built on top of it.
Trying to reinstall the insulation after the trailer is built is an exercise in futility. Gravity just won't let it happen The video skipped that part for good reason. I seriously doubt the insulation is reinstalled as good as it was originally. We boondock in all kinds of weather, so that is important to us.

Of course I realize that my usage is likely different than most.
So others may be OK with doing it anyways.

Just throwing out there in case it might help someone decide

I didn't see my last install, but my 1st 2 IS installs they DID NOT drop the coroplast
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I considered it when we purchased the Momentum.

Decided against it for two reasons.
1.Reduced ground clearance. We always boondock. This means traveling down some dirt roads that can be rutted or muddy. The IS hangs pretty low. Ground clearance is reduced to about the height of the tires sidewalls. This means getting stuck would happen pretty easy.

2. I watched a video of the installation. They drop the coroplast and all of the insulation. When that is installed originally, it is just a frame with some tanks, wiring etc. installed, and it is upsidedown. So it is easy for the insulation to be put where it needs to be, and then the coroplast is screwed down over it. That holds it in place then the frame is flipped rightside up and a trailer is built on top of it.
Trying to reinstall the insulation after the trailer is built is an exercise in futility. Gravity just won't let it happen The video skipped that part for good reason. I seriously doubt the insulation is reinstalled as good as it was originally. We boondock in all kinds of weather, so that is important to us.

Of course I realize that my usage is likely different than most.
So others may be OK with doing it anyways.

Just throwing out there in case it might help someone decide
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
My take on the "upgrade to disc brakes" thing is that the bigger the RV, the more benefit you see from upgrading to discs due to their superior braking capabilities, which is important on bigger RVs.

Here's some useful videos to watch.

RV UPGRADES: MORryde SRE 4000

RV ALASKA Q&A: WERE THE UPGRADES REALLY NEEDED?

HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE INSTALL ON OUR GRAND DESIGN MOMENTUM RV
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Don't do it like me try to improve the ride with different sys but you end up with IS.Do it one time and done don't listen to internet story you end up with IS.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Snip...

BTW...agree with friends, even forum friends I've never met, being an important asset. I feel like I actually know some of you, and appreciate your online friendship!

Three of my very best friends are guys I met here on RV.net. Have met them in person for quite a few years but talked with them here for a long time before that. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm sure that is true for many others here also. This place is more than just reading and informing.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks to Howard, and Joe also, for having my back, if needed!

I'm doin purdy good, right now, but ya just never know??

Piggy bank...always a good savings! A salesman asked me once "how does one just walk in, write a check for a new truck"? I told him, I just throw all my pocket change in a jar every day. Next time I need a new truck, I cash it in at the bank!

BTW...agree with friends, even forum friends I've never met, being an important asset. I feel like I actually know some of you, and appreciate your online friendship!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:

It's a GOOD feeling, having wealthy forum friends, that could help me out in a time of need!!!:B

Jerry
Shoot Jerry, you can have all 4 of my piggy banks, but full disclosure: 2 of 'em are only half full, and mostly pennies. They used to be full, but I've given too many "Two Cents Worth" of opinions. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL wrote:

It's a GOOD feeling, having wealthy forum friends, that could help me out in a time of need!!!:B

Jerry

Well Jerry,
I donโ€™t usually go around giving people money for no reason, BUT there are a select few on here that I had gotten to know that I would help if really neededโ€ฆ.

And in my eyes, wealth is measured by friendships weather be online or in personโ€ฆ
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Fisherguy wrote:
I can't imagine the price for converting a trailer to that system... :E
Think of a lot, then add another decimal point. ๐Ÿ™‚

My last install was in 2019 and it was $6400.00 all in for both, that included install, and Timken bearing upgrade. I understand that the prices have now jumped, and Morryde was booking out as far as Q3 2023 or later for installsโ€ฆ

The other benefit is that the measure your tow vehicle and trailer in several places before the install, they make the proper subframe and add it so the unit will be 100% level once install is complete.

Jerry