cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Music through an inverter on your television

DeeReed
Explorer
Explorer
Someone told me that if I can't get radio reception while traveling in an RV then I could play music through my TV that I've pre-recorded on Direct TV. They didn't know if Dish Net worked this way.
Dee Reed
Back again to RV.net after a few years
Now living in Phoenix
11 REPLIES 11

DeeReed
Explorer
Explorer
You all are giving me great info. Thanks. I don't think I'm going to try this.
Dee Reed
Now living in Phoenix

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Hard drives are hard drives, and one is not optimized for one use over another. Its all data. If you want reliable read or write speed considering its streaming data, you simply install a 10,000rpm generic drive.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a Rube Goldberg way of listening to music.

We get our music one of two ways;
XM satellite radio which has excellent reception
Ipad music library fed through the radio
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually there is such a thing as a "Video Hard Drive" I forget who makes it.. but it is a hard drive optimised for use in Video recorders and for playing Video on computers.. Other than that it is a standard hard drive and yes it can be used for any computer storage programs, data (Video is just data to a computer) and the like.

The biggest issue I see with playing music through the TV is many TV's are interlocked in RV's. and will not play period when driving,, Of course a bit of re-cabling and you can use the dash radio to play the music off the DVR, Also, in my house I can play it via the house radio/"Home Theater" system using the inverter. In short, I have a lot of options. You likely do too.

Another option is to play other recorded music while driving,, I have hundreds of hours of assorted format recordings here. MP3,, CD,, MiniDisc (You wont find many of those any more) and even Cassette. (Can not play in Motor Home at this time but can in car).

But then I like Music.

On a good portion of the freeway Pandora and my Smart phone work.. Not so much off the freeway.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

docj
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

This is because the DVR uses a mechanical hard disk drive to store the recordings... but it's not like a laptop drive that is designed to take some rough and tumble. It is a video drive, designed to run for 1000s of hours without complaint.

Hard drives are all the same. There is no such thing as a video hard drive. In fact, the new line of DirecTV DVRs uses easy to replace hard drives that are exactly the same as those in laptops. We leave our DVR running all the time and, after >30,000 miles of full-timing we have had no problems whatsoever.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

DeeReed
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Possible, but you could easily wreck your DVR using it while driving. My HOPPER and the VIP922 DVR it replaced both have stern warnings right on the receiver to NOT MOVE while plugged in, and the manual goes into more detail.

This is because the DVR uses a mechanical hard disk drive to store the recordings... but it's not like a laptop drive that is designed to take some rough and tumble. It is a video drive, designed to run for 1000s of hours without complaint.

Pandora is cool, but Google Music all-access is cooler. I have both, and use both regularly, but I'll be using Google on my upcoming off-grid road trip because it gives you unlimited downloads. I can pick all the artists, albums, or songs I like and save them to my phone (32gb phone can hold 100s of hours.) Once I drop off the grid, the music I downloaded keeps playing now from the phone's memory instead of streaming from the cell towers.

Wow. Great info.
Dee Reed
Now living in Phoenix

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Possible, but you could easily wreck your DVR using it while driving. My HOPPER and the VIP922 DVR it replaced both have stern warnings right on the receiver to NOT MOVE while plugged in, and the manual goes into more detail.

Pandora is cool, but Google Music all-access is cooler. I have both, and use both regularly, but I'll be using Google on my upcoming off-grid road trip because it gives you unlimited downloads. I can pick all the artists, albums, or songs I like and save them to my phone (32gb phone can hold 100s of hours.) Once I drop off the grid, the music I downloaded keeps playing now from the phone's memory instead of streaming from the cell towers.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DeeReed
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
What media would you be recording on? CD? DVD? Thumb drive? iPod? Or are you bringing the whole DVR?

Sorry, I didn't ask this. Guess it's an important consideration.
Dee Reed
Now living in Phoenix

Pool
Explorer
Explorer
I used to do this with VHS tapes

docj
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a DirecTV DVR you ought to be able to record the music channels, although I've never tried it. We stream Pandora on a smart phone while driving.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What media would you be recording on? CD? DVD? Thumb drive? iPod? Or are you bringing the whole DVR?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......