cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My new hitch.

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
Well after towing a few thousand miles with my Andersen WD hitch, I decided that I really wanted a better solution for sway control. I honestly believe the Andersen would still be my hitch of choice if I didn't live in Kansas. The 30-50mph crosswinds we regularly get while on the interstate just seemed to be a bit too much for the Andersen on my heavy/long trailer and 1/2 ton truck.

I'd been watching craigslist looking for a used Hensley Arrow or Propride and found one right after Christmas. I drove almost 6 hours to get it, but I now have a Hensley Arrow for $500!

The hitch came with both types of frame couplers and a 2" drop stinger. I believe the drop is going to work out for my trailer. I pulled the bearing caps and inspected the bearings which all looked good. The paint on my hitch looked to be better than most for its age(made in 2001), but still looked poor. I scuffed up the paint, cleaned with some acetone, and spray painted it. I picked up some tractor paint from Orschelns. I used Van Sickle Allis Chalmer orange enamel. I think the paint matches the original pretty well.

I am going to replace the spring bar bushing as it seems worn to me. Hopefully that will arrive this week and I can get it all installed next weekend. All said and done I should have less than $600 in the hitch that should look and work like new!

7 REPLIES 7

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick update!

I've now towed with the Hensley 5 or 6 times. The difference is simply incredible. I have no problem towing on the interstate at 65mph with 30+mph crosswinds. This would have been a scary event with my previous hitch and is now a non issue.

I took the truck/camper by the scales and the weight distribution is working very well, but my tongue weight is heavier than I would have guessed and the 1400 lb bars may be in my future. Current tongue weight is about 1200 lbs and the camper fully loaded to camp is ~8700 lbs.

If you are thinking about buying this hitch, I cannot recommend this strongly enough! Hitching and unhitching are no problem thanks to the backup camera. I also LOVE the fact I can now open my tailgate with the trailer hooked up.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Good Deal . . :B . . . I have use a HA since 2006. Love it.

The only problem I have had is with the "U" shaped part that holds the brass bushing that the spring bars go into. Sorry no photo. I have had the brass sleeves brake off from the flat base plate. With the last replacement part, I had the local welding shop reinforce this item where the flat part attached to the brass bushings.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Once you use the HA you will not want to use anything else. I towed with a HA with my last RV. It is a fantastic hitch.
Their lifetime warranty is something you should reconsider. The HA is a very unique contraption, buying pieces one at a time adds up quick.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
That's not too bad. Terry from Hensley called me earlier this week after I contacted them about my hitch. He did a good job trying to sell the lifetime warranty to me or even sell them this hitch back towards the purchase of a new one. Unfortunately for him, I'm too cheap and too handy. I ordered their "repair" kit and a few extra grease zerks earlier this week.

I look forward to getting this thing installed and hopefully many worry free towing miles this spring/summer!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes I did replace my spring bar bushing but not at the time I re-did the hitch. I replaced them a year ago this summer. The cost was not cheap, around $35 or maybe a bit more, don't remember for sure. You also need to send them your old bushing so don't throw it away. They will charge you a deposit fee and then when you send your old one back they refund the fee.

In your case, since you purchased yours used, I doubt whether you have warranty so you may not need to send your old one back. Call them before you order and ask. You can tell when it needs replacing when the bottom is oval'ed out and the thickness of the walls is not even.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BarneyS!

I reviewed your thread and Climbon's thread extensively while looking at the hitch figuring out how everything worked. It is actually incredibly simple once you can put your hands on one!

I'm going to call Hensley tomorrow and try and get the new spring bar bushing. Did you replace yours and if so do you recall how much it was?

I thought long and hard about a complete dis assembly to do exactly as you did, but once I saw the bearings looked to be in good shape I really couldn't justify it.

I got super lucky on the frame brackets. I had no idea when I picked it up that I was getting both types of frame brackets.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good find and nice job! As you found out, there is nothing in that hitch that cannot easily be replaced. I re-did my Hensley some time ago and posted about it, with pictures, here.

I know you are going to enjoy the hitch and the easy towing that results from using it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine