cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need more tongue weight

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Sandpiper T22 Lite and need to somehow add a couple of hundred pounds to the tongue weight somehow. Seems most everything is at the axles and back inside. Its a great little trailer but is a little unbalanced. The GVW is 6,200 and the tongue weight is only around 400 lbs loaded. My brother was a Forest River dealer and I have had many trailers and have found that the best handling trailers are at around 15% tongue weight.The truck and the hitch set up are not the problem,in fact I am using two friction sway controls and I have pulled this weight and size trailer before with no sway control and handled better then this setup. Truck is more than adequate for a 6,200 trailer. Problem is, all the tanks,bathroom,fridge,heavier mattress are at the rear. I have a pass through up front but it's not very big and I do have have my tools and heavier stuff in there but I am still light up front. Any ideas? I have dual tanks and a very heavy single battery up there. Can't fit 2 batteries.Thanks!
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley
39 REPLIES 39

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boomerweps wrote:
Get larger propane tanks if you have only the 20# units. You can get 30 & 40# ones
Add a second battery.
Replace manual tongue jack with a power jack.
Those are useful additions that cost a little $$. Next are FREE.
Carry a load of freshwater. Clean water tank is usually in front of the axles.
Put your spare tire in the forward storage if it fits.

OP already stated the fresh water is behind the axle-that's one reason for his problem.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you could mount a nice tool box on the front of the trailer; over the tanks? Move the spare to an under trailer rack. Are your wd bars properly adjusted, maybe back off a link?
Would like to hear what you did if you find something that works!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
BenK wrote:
Move the axle assembly BACK towards the rear

This would require significant modification to the trailer. The wheel wells and openings would have to be relocated along with the axles. That's assuming there is no structure, plumbing, wiring, facility, or appliance already occupying the space where the wells would need to be moved.

Hardly something I would want to do to a new trailer, or a 19 year old trailer. I think I'd set fire to a poorly-towing 19 year old trailer and watch it burn to the ground before I'd relocate the axles.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Ops...correction = 6โ€-8โ€ behind the CG of the trailer...

LITEPHIL wrote:
BenK wrote:
Another possible and will not add much weight to the trailer...

How much will take some mechanical engineering.

My guess something in the neighborhood of 6โ€-8โ€

Trailer OEMโ€™s, in general, has the trailer axle assembly center line too close to the coupler and IMHO, reduces the tongue weight. At the cost of towing manners.

Thought about that and I could do that but I'm hoping I can accomplish what I need if I can load that front compartment really well.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:

I would take the trailer back to where I bought it and COMPLAIN. Get your money back. Their fix will be to add dead weight to the front. Tell them that this is not acceptable.

LOL, you're assuming the OP just bought the trailer (maybe I missed that) and you're assuming that whomever sold him a now 19 year old trailer actually gives 2 ___ks about how it tows. Private party or dealer.
Just add some weight up front. Make it dead weight if can't figure out useful weight (like extra batteries, etc).
Could go to a scrap yard, get some thick steel bar or plate. That's the best bang for the buck save for solid lead. I just scrapped about 400lf of 2" x 4" steel bar. would have been great. Quick calc is 27lbs/lf.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Get larger propane tanks if you have only the 20# units. You can get 30 & 40# ones
Add a second battery.
Replace manual tongue jack with a power jack.
Those are useful additions that cost a little $$. Next are FREE.
Carry a load of freshwater. Clean water tank is usually in front of the axles.
Put your spare tire in the forward storage if it fits.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

Trailer OEMโ€™s, in general, has the trailer axle assembly center line too close to the coupler and IMHO, reduces the tongue weight. At the cost of towing manners.

Thought about that and I could do that but I'm hoping I can accomplish what I need if I can load that front compartment really well.
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

hkkarlsson96
Explorer
Explorer
Calculating your targeted tongue weight can be a NIGHTMARE, but the information included in this post helped me out allot, so I thought I'd share! I'm a big fan on how in depth some of these posts go!
https://towingpeaceofmind.com/forums/topic/towing-within-your-target-tongue-weight/

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
So to all of you who suggest putting things like propane, beer, water, and other CONSUMABLES up front for tongue weight...

What happens when you burn up all the propane and drink all the beer???

Apparently trailers don't sway on the trip home, only on the way out.

I would take the trailer back to where I bought it and COMPLAIN. Get your money back. Their fix will be to add dead weight to the front. Tell them that this is not acceptable.

Aaaaaaaa, I would just buy more beer! :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I think the key here is to try to find a way to access that front storage area and fill it up with stuff. I'm not going to add weight at this time if I can load it down up front. It's not supper bad towing and I have made around ten trips with it. It's just not a great handling trailer with out a couple hundred pounds added up front. I was thinking about making the front couch/bed flip back for loading. Just trying to dial things in a bit.
Thanks!
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
So to all of you who suggest putting things like propane, beer, water, and other CONSUMABLES up front for tongue weight...

What happens when you burn up all the propane and drink all the beer???

Apparently trailers don't sway on the trip home, only on the way out.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Concrete is heavy. You could make some forms and pour concrete blocks that would fit where you want to place them. When I have my 1100 lb motorcycle and lift hanging off the back of my fiver I put 5 gallon pails of gravel up in the bedroom closet ..... one of these days Iโ€™m planning to add a third axle behind the tandems.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
In the early 2000's there was a recall on certain 21 ft Bigfoot models because of the poor handling qualities of them. The recall added 500 lbs of steel weight to the tongue. There are a number of them out there that didn't get modified and there is a story about a couple that bought one, not realizing the issues with it, and totaled the trailer and their tow vehicle on the way home with it.

Whether you want to or not, you could end up having to add a couple of sections of Rail Road track underneath the tongue area.

As far as water goes, get some blue 5 gal potable water jugs and carry the water in the bed of the truck and fill the tanks after you get to the site. This is not a great option but should help some.

Where is the spare tire? Certainly it can be moved to a holder underneath the front of the trailer.

I would consider moving the water tank. It is probably just braced up or strapped up to framework underneath. Move it forward install a new filler neck and tube down to it (might have to build a box around the fill and vent tubes) and remove the existing fill neck and install a blanking plate over the opening where the fill port was.

I have a Thor trailer with a couch across the front that does the funny flip routine to make a bed. The back swings away from the wall and rotates at the same time till it ends up in front of the seat cushion part of it. The seat cushion frame lifts up to expose the pass thru. You may be able to remove a piece of plywood and get into the pass thru if the seat bottom lifts up. Mine pivots up toward the front wall once the back is out of the way.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.