cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New awning issue

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dealer installed a complete new awning for us. I wonder if something is not quite right with it.
When the awning is extended all out, and from the rear of the trailer perspective, the fabric attaches at about the 9:30/10 o’clock position and the flap that is to hang is attached at the 2 o’clock position.
This makes for a trough for water to pool. Which then drips all along the inside of the roller.
The old one did not do this.
Is it properly installed??
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
7 REPLIES 7

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess is your new awning is about 3 inches shorter than your original one. I also find it hard to believe there is that much pitch change in the 1/4 turn you need to get the end where it is supposed to be.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
On some awning if you hold the button too long it will start to roll back up in reverse.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I realize backing it in a 1/2 turn does the trick. That too reduces the pitch considerably.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
nickthehunter wrote:
Roll the awning closed a 1/4 turn

Yes that is it. A lot of rollers will go a little more than they should. When deploying, stop when the flap is on the bottom. Be aware that your awning will collect water during rain no matter where the flap is. Roll it in when it is raining or put a pitch on it so the water will not pool or you will be in for a lot of grief.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Roll the awning closed a 1/4 turn

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fabric should go over the roller.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I'm understanding your description properly, that does not sound correct.

The awning should go over the roller to prevent the "pooling" issue that you describe. That would allow water to run off over the roller instead of pooling. Pooling, without a tilt in the awning, could cause damage to the awning if enough water weight built up on it.

I don't know if it matters, but is this a manual awning or an electric awning?

Would you be able to post a pic?

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.