cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Generator in the mix

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have been watching Home Depot for a while for a cheap price on a champion genny with remote start and saw another one today that made me pause. It's a Ryobi RY123000BTA. Its another copy of the Honda 2000 but had a couple of minor changes of interest.
First, instead of the Honda 2000 starting watts and 1600 running, its 2300 starting, 1800 running. I know some folks have talked about soft start conversions etc, but has anyone checked specifically what the energy requirements are, and will these couple hundred more make a difference?
Also this unit has a bluetooth control app for your smartphone, It wont start the unit , but will shut it down and tell you fuel level etc from your phone.
Also it has a 3 year warranty.
They are listing it for $599 which does seem interesting. Anybody have one?

EDIT I had this in general rving. is there a problem with starting threads from android tablets? Please move.
60 REPLIES 60

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
quoting contest.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
rjxj wrote:
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Lantley wrote:
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:
Where are people taking Champions for service?
They don't require service, just change the oil and the spark plug once in a while.

Funny even Honda the most reputable name in generators requires service. They have an extensive service network available.
I agree Champions are a decent product with a stellar reputation but they will require service. The question is where can you take them?
Really? What kind of service you taking your Honda in for?

When I was working and a storm developed we could have 40 generators come in and you might see one or two Honda. Like any of them the Hondas could have stale fuel or a bad fuel line etc. Some people bring them in just to have maintenance service.

No product is perfect but Hondas had the least problems and there is a walk in dealer network when you do need it. Some people dont work on any of this stuff themselves. They bring in the generator every year to have it serviced even if they haven't used it. They bring in their lawn mower in the spring and bring it back in the fall when they are done with it and also bring their snowblower. Many people are not diy so they want a product with dealer service.

Champion wasn't as common at the time but Generac was and they were the laughing stock of the shop. You will see old Hondas for sale that are still worth something and parts are still available but not much with others. Hondas biggest problem seems to be that it's the one that is a favorite for being stolen. I bet those dirt bags dont sit around and ooh and aah about snatching them a Champion tonight.

If a person does want to take their Champion in for whatever reason, where do they take it?
The things you just described can be done by any small engine repair shop. The same small engine repair shop you are taking your Honda into. Spark plugs, oil, carburetors, and pull rope are all universal, just like on your lawnmower and snow blower.

I would bet most RV Owners know how to drain the old gas and change the oil in their generator themselves.

Bottom Line, regardless of what is wrong with it, if you choose to have someone do it for you, you can take it to the same place you take your Honda. Done with this silliness, Have a Good Day.

We serviced all brands but the people who bought from my buddies John Deere dealer were given priority over others. They are called a customer not a shopper who buys lesser products elsewhere

I agree 100%.
Glad I have a Champion then. I don't have to worry about waiting in line while they give preferential treatment and fix that long line of Hondas first.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Lantley wrote:
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:
They don't require service, just change the oil and the spark plug once in a while.

Funny even Honda the most reputable name in generators requires service. They have an extensive service network available.
I agree Champions are a decent product with a stellar reputation but they will require service. The question is where can you take them?

When I was working and a storm developed we could have 40 generators come in and you might see one or two Honda. Like any of them the Hondas could have stale fuel or a bad fuel line etc. Some people bring them in just to have maintenance service.

No product is perfect but Hondas had the least problems and there is a walk in dealer network when you do need it. Some people dont work on any of this stuff themselves. They bring in the generator every year to have it serviced even if they haven't used it. They bring in their lawn mower in the spring and bring it back in the fall when they are done with it and also bring their snowblower. Many people are not diy so they want a product with dealer service.

Champion wasn't as common at the time but Generac was and they were the laughing stock of the shop. You will see old Hondas for sale that are still worth something and parts are still available but not much with others. Hondas biggest problem seems to be that it's the one that is a favorite for being stolen. I bet those dirt bags dont sit around and ooh and aah about snatching them a Champion tonight.

If a person does want to take their Champion in for whatever reason, where do they take it?
The things you just described can be done by any small engine repair shop. The same small engine repair shop you are taking your Honda into. Spark plugs, oil, carburetors, and pull rope are all universal, just like on your lawnmower and snow blower.

I would bet most RV Owners know how to drain the old gas and change the oil in their generator themselves.

Bottom Line, regardless of what is wrong with it, if you choose to have someone do it for you, you can take it to the same place you take your Honda. Done with this silliness, Have a Good Day.

We serviced all brands but the people who bought from my buddies John Deere dealer were given priority over others. They are called a customer not a shopper who buys lesser products elsewhere

I agree 100%.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Lantley wrote:
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:

Wild_Bill_888
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Ryobi 2000 based on price and spec sheet. It did not come close to meeting the spec's.

review comment

I have a Honda 2000 that starts my 13.5 k a c with a starting capacitor, in Eco mode.

There is a big change coming in refrigeration with the use of permanent magnet variable speed compressors that largely eliminate the starting surge.

Variable speed

Roof mount

Dometic

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjxj wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Lantley wrote:
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:

Welcome to our "Throwaway" world. If you are talking about major repairs, we are not going to pay $500 for a complete rebuild on a product that can be purchased new for $499. Any small engine repair shop should be able to perform minor repairs on these more or less generic engines. Carburetors, recoils starters, etc. are cheap and readily available to the home repairman.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
Lantley wrote:
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
Lantley wrote:
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:

I've never done any service on my 13 year old Honda other than oil and spark plug. Now if you mean repairs, I don't know where you would take a Champion. Would probably have to call them and find out. They don't ever seem to need repairs much
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
rossweinberg21 wrote:
Well, There is difference between overpriced things and expensive things, An overpriced thing do charge a lot but doesn't provide any value for its extra cost while as expensive things do charge more but in return, they have some values to provide which wouldn't be available from inexpensive things, It even can be a reliability factor or peace of mind.
So you could have bought two generators for the price of one. Now that's "real" peace of mind. And besides that, when after a period of time you figured out that the first one worked just fine, you could have sold the second one at a 75% of what you paid for it "new and still in the box.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
bid_time wrote:
rjxj wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide