cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Keyless Jeeps

TonySGA
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to this Forum, Thanks in advance for some advice. I just brought home a 2021 Cherokee WITH the Active Drive 2 Power Transfer Unit for flat towing. However, even after reading the owner's manual I've got a question I was hoping some of you can answer. With my old Jeep Liberty, I had to be sure the key was left in the ON position while towing, so the steering column would not lock and I removed a battery cable as well. However, the new manual just says to push the starting button to OFF prior to towing it? Does the steering wheel on the keyless vehicles not lock as they did in all the keyed models? Also, I'll be using the Ready Break breaking system, and looking at the firewall in this newer Jeep, I'm not seeing much room to drill the required hole behind the brake pedal for the cable. Has anyone installed this themselves in a newer Jeep that can give me a pointer here also? Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Steering wheels haven't locked on Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge/Ram vehicles in a very long time!
Yeah, on the JGC that's a great feature; you can still steer it when it pops out of 'park' and rolls downhill.... :B
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
TonySGA wrote:
I am new to this Forum, Thanks in advance for some advice. I just brought home a 2021 Cherokee WITH the Active Drive 2 Power Transfer Unit for flat towing. However, even after reading the owner's manual I've got a question I was hoping some of you can answer. With my old Jeep Liberty, I had to be sure the key was left in the ON position while towing, so the steering column would not lock and I removed a battery cable as well. However, the new manual just says to push the starting button to OFF prior to towing it? Does the steering wheel on the keyless vehicles not lock as they did in all the keyed models? Also, I'll be using the Ready Break breaking system, and looking at the firewall in this newer Jeep, I'm not seeing much room to drill the required hole behind the brake pedal for the cable. Has anyone installed this themselves in a newer Jeep that can give me a pointer here also? Thanks!
Sounds similar to my 14 JGC. Following the procedure push the button on the console to shift the transfer case to neutral, ignition off which causes the tranny to switch to park. Steering wheel doesn't lock.

On your first tow have someone watch the jeep closely to insure it's ready to tow. Plus sharp turns to check the steering.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Steering wheels haven't locked on Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge/Ram vehicles in a very long time!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
X2 what georgelesley said. I've seen some electric steering vehicles with steering column lock, some w/o.

As ole' Bob Dylan once said, "things they are a'changin"

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
The steering wheel does not lock anymore. The steering is now electric.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley