cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to towing questions

Not applicable
Looking to buy a toad and tow bar. My experience after 11 rv’ing years in a class A v10 point to a Blue Ox bar pulling a Jeep wrangler (or similar) 2 door 4x. (Used in the 2004-2016 range) what issues if any? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's another vote for the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar, that comes with braking system built into it already. Much cheaper than buying a tow bar and separate braking system, and provides a very simple, reliable brake for your Jeep.

Jeep Wranglers are one of the most simple and easiest to flat tow, both in initial setup and actual towing. Sooo, you definitely are choosing a great vehicle for it. I've towed several different vehicles, including a Jeep Wrangler presently, and the Jeep has definitely been the most simple and easiest to set up of all of them.

As to issues: As already mentioned, you'll have to figure out a way to wire up your tail lights to the Motorhome. There's several ways to accomplish that - You can install and wire in separate bulbs in your taillight housings, or use one of many wiring kits available to wire in and use existing lights, or you can install separate 'magnetic' lights you put on just while towing.

Some Jeeps can be susceptible to the dreaded 'death wobble' when flat towing. You can minimize the risk of that, by making sure your tow bar setup is correct (tow bar level or somewhat lower on Jeep side, etc), and making sure the Jeep's front suspension is maintained properly. Worn front suspension parts can cause the death wobble.

Only other issue you'll have with the Jeep: You may find out why Jeep stands for 'Just Empty Every Pocket', hahaha. Sooo many cool things you can do with them, very easy to spend a lot of $$ on them. Very fun vehicle, though, and one of the best there is for flat towing. 🙂
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2 issues

• Tail/turn signals for the toad. You probably can NOT directly connect to the existing bulbs unless you some fancy wiring/relays !
  • Do you need braking on the toad ?

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a 2012 Jeep Liberty would like a wrangler but my wife was unable to get into a vehicle that sat that high. Has worked well for us 4 door seats 5 no need to leave key in ign. no restrictions on towing speed or miles.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wranglers are relatively easy to setup for tow. You will need a tow bar, brake system, base plate, wiring for lights. NSA Ready Brute Elite has a tow-bar/brake system all in one. Road master has a good baseplate for the Wrangler, and a towing kit to include wiring, safety cables, electrical umbilical cord from mh to toad.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have towed my Jeep thousands of miles with no problems 4 down with a tow bar.
The biggest issue I have experienced is Road Grime. Cleaning the tow bar often is you best defense.
I have an older Demco Excalibur Tow Bar so no experience with BlueOx.