cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No fifth wheel/trailer running lights Ram 1500

chaffeekid
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Ram 1500, Hemi 5.7L, but this is for all 1500 2500 and 3500. I recently bought my Heartland Sundance fifth wheel, and on the way home, the marker lights/running lights went out.
Seems like a lot of people have this problem with this series of Rams. Now don't get me wrong, I really like my Ram. I thought it was a problem with the plug from the trailer, but it was not. Another thing, although the running lights were not working, I still had brake lights, turn signals and 4 way flashers. So I ran the 4 ways for about 150miles

Well when we got home, I broke out the trusty old VOM and found that the trailer was not the problem. The wiring checked good, so it was to the connector on the truck. The cover plate on the 7 pole connector on the truck displays what is going on at each pin. Turns out the pin located at about the 11 o'clock position is the one supplying power for the running lights. I had 0 volts there where there should have been battery voltage 12.7 or there about.

Under the hood of the Ram is the fuse box, located on the drivers side in front of the battery, has a couple of clips that you push back and lift the cover. Then if you pull up on it you can detach it and look at the fuse layout, etched into it. The errant fuse is located in space F29, doesn't look like an ordinary fuse, it is a little plastic box thing but it does have 20 amps indicated on it. Pull it our and check it with you Ohm meter, and it will probably be open, or blown. However you want to look at it. Now here's the trick, locate F28, also a 20 amp of the same type, its job is the backup lights for the trailer, as my fifth wheel doesn't have backup lights, I pulled that fuse and installed it in the F29 position.

Checked the pin on the 7 pole connector and HOORAY I have 12.75 volts to run the running lights. So if you are ever in that situation, that's how you can overcome it. Course you want to stop by an auto parts store or your dealer and pick up a couple of spares which is what I did. Now of course the layout and fuse numbers for the 2500 and 3500 will probably vary, look in your owners manual to see what fuse controls your running lights, and take appropriate actions.

Anyway hope this helps someone, Looking forward to seeing some of you at the Heartland Rally in Danville Mo in May. God Bless and be safe.

MGySgt USMC(R) 61-91:)
N0LZS
Wife, has put up with me for 57 years :B
Amber, a Cockapoo, and Bambi a Hyper Chihuahua
2004 Winnebago Brave 34D, 8.1L 496cubes, Allison transmission, two Slides.
5 REPLIES 5

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it trips while towing, I would check the 7 pin umbilical cord where it goes through the frame or body. I had a trailer that they drilled a hole with some kind of ice pick and ran the cord through it. Took a few years before the sharp edges cut and shorted the cable. The umbilical cord is only 5~6' long and then there should be a junction box. Check the connections in that box as well.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup, fuses don't blow for no reason. You've still got problems.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
wiring harness before the connector at the bumper. Something short there
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Something blew that fuse, it didn't pop on its own.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, informative. TY.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad