cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

not your normal tire thread

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
So, I got tired of China bombs and put a set of Maxxis on our 23' TT about 2 years ago. Went from 178/80/13 to 185 to get a little more cushion on weight capacity.
Bought online, delivered to tire shop for installation. DOT codes were 3 years old on date of delivery. I called Maxxis, They said they have no control over age unless bought directly from them. IF bought directly from them they TRY to keep them not much over 2 years old.
Any way, I am at about 5 years , so time to replace is coming up. They have been covered since new, never over 65 mph, max 68 to pass, and always have pressures checked and topped off to 50 before a trip.
Did a 300 mile round trip to the FL Keys 2 weeks ago.
Upon return I notice 3 of them have small pieces of tread missing and the belts have slipped. Just lucky we made it home before the show would have started.
No cracking on sidewalls, and we have put over 15,000 miles on this TT without any tire problems, except 1 china bomb?
I will check to make sure axles aren't bent or misaligned. Has any one else seen this ? Was it just "their time" to die ?
Theories welcome. TIA
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
20 REPLIES 20

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Maxxis quality has deteriorated, but my 2006 Jayco came with Maxxis ST's, and I used them for eight years before they showed signs of belt slipping or something. The only problems I had with them was the occasional flat from nail penetration.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
Maxxis tires are "china bombs" just like almost every other ST tire. This is predictable.

I second or third the GY Endurance. Made in USA! Made anywhere but China would be fine.

USA Bombs:B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s your lucky day. Go buy a lottery ticket too!
And when you get home from the convienence store, order some new tires.
Fwiw, Iโ€™ve bought several sets from etrailer and all were fresh donuts.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a set of Carlisle radial hd's last summer through Amazon, and they were only about 6-7 months old. I would definitely have contacted the vendor and demanded a fresher set of tires or a steep discount.
Seems like with the new and improved offerings from Carlisle and Goodyear, the Maxis are loosing the favor they once had.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Oregun wrote:
Why are those tires sitting in a warehouse for 3 years, aren't they selling? Don't they FIFO their stock?
Five years/15k miles and falling apart is not a sign of quality. For comparison I bought a new explorer in
2002 and put the original spare (michelin crossterrain ) on the car in 2009. Replacing the tire this month
after 10 yrs on the road and 17yrs since manufacture with about 60k miles.

Apparently, they use the FISH inventory system- first in, still here.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis tires are "china bombs" just like almost every other ST tire. This is predictable.

I second or third the GY Endurance. Made in USA! Made anywhere but China would be fine.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I had a set of Maxxis ST 8008 tires on a small utility trailer. As such the tires were well under their weight rating.

I had a tire fail while on a trip. Replaced both tires and the other tire looked good and was through;y inspected by the tire shop. I then used it for a spare and the tire was stored inside the trailer.

About one year later when getting trailer ready for a trip this is what I found when checking tire pressures.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also had a MAXXIS tread about to come off. Switched to Endurance.

+1 to go with a better speed rating.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
We got the Maxxis tires from Simpletire. I just replaced them with a set of 5 Carlisle radial trail hd's from Walmart online. $44 a tire. All have the same date code 48th week of 2018.
I hope to have better luck with these. They are also rated for 81 MPH.
They'll never see it on my trailer but it's nice to know I'm not running so close to their limit.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The warranty on Maxxis RV trailer tires starts on the date of manufacturer displayed on the tire sidewall.

Click Here!

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I also had maxxis tires, however mine were used on a cargo trailer pulled behind a TC. I got about 7 years out of mine. They also had tread coming apart near the edge and minor cracking between the tread no cracking on the sidewalls. With ST trailer tires I think if you can get 6 to 7 years you did well. Guess I got lucky as I also ordered online and mine were about 6 months old.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
Bought online, delivered to tire shop for installation.

Then you should call the owner of the website and complain. I'm sure they'll fix you right up.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Upon return I notice 3 of them have small pieces of tread missing and the belts have slipped. Just lucky we made it home before the show would have started.
No cracking on sidewalls, and we have put over 15,000 miles on this TT without any tire problems, except 1 china bomb?
I will check to make sure axles aren't bent or misaligned. Has any one else seen this ? Was it just "their time" to die ?
Theories welcome. TIA

As one poster says Maxxis ST8008s doesn't have all that great of a service record. Your #37 on rv websites alone not counting non rv trailers that has had issues with them.

Maxxis says not all of the ST sizes have the nylon cap under the tread....but don't say what sizes.

Carlisle HD has a couple of 13" D load range tires. The HD are a new gen higher speed rated tire and so far their a much improved tire over the old Carlisle ST tires.
Not many 13" ST tire sizes and load ranges left out here. I always use a P tire on trailers that small. You get a higher speed rating plus a quality service tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
There is always exceptions, but with st (sucker tires) I think you did quite well. Maxxis tires are one of the better brands of st tires. That's about all the life expectancy out of st tires you can expect.
Moose