cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Obsolete Parts

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone experienced an authorized dealer tell you in advance that the brand new from the factory camper contains obsolete parts making repairs difficult? It sounds like a go away we do not want to work on your camper scenario.
7 REPLIES 7

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of times a RV mfg will change vendors and use up the old vendor parts before switching over to the new part. They even have a disclaimer that they have a right to make changes without notice on their web sites.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just remember the dealer's definition of Obsolete: "I do not have one in stock".
Or in some cases: "My parts supplier has none in stock thus it must be obsolete.

One month later it is the new part the supplier just got in.

Suggestion (And story)... I went to my local authorized service center for a Recall.. Little two bit part they likely had dozens in stock.. Service consultant says "Do you have the part?" I told her due to the dealer who sold it to me not doing the paperwork he PROMISED he woudl do I did not, I got my recall letter by E-Mail. She said "Can't do it in 2 weeks, takes us longer than that to get the part".. I told her schedule it, I'd get the part.

Went home,, Called a professional friend.. 6pm that evening he pulled in my back drive, handed me the part, and his business card... around six hours shy of 2 weeks later I handed the service consultant my keys and the part attached to my frind's business card..... nothing further was said.....

A couple months later there was a warranty issue...They did not have that part in stock either but arranged for it to be shipped Fed-Ex overnight.

My friend....The national customer service manager for the chassis manufacturer.

Yup. I got real good service afer that ๐Ÿ™‚

The suggestion.. Call the folks who built it.. Get corporate on the job of kicking anatomy at the dealer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Forest river class A limited warranty says in part

Elkhart, Indiana 46515-3030 (Warrantor) warrants to the ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER ONLY, when purchased from an authorized Forest River Inc. dealer, for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase (Warranty Period), that the body structure of this recreational vehicle shall be free of substantial defects in materials and workmanship attributable to Warrantor."

It goes on to say anything made by someone else, use there warranty.

So I would be interested in what constitutes "substantial defects" and WHO determines that?
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Forest river class A limited warranty says in part

Elkhart, Indiana 46515-3030 (Warrantor) warrants to the ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER ONLY, when purchased from an authorized Forest River Inc. dealer, for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase (Warranty Period), that the body structure of this recreational vehicle shall be free of substantial defects in materials and workmanship attributable to Warrantor."

It goes on to say anything made by someone else, use there warranty.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says they (whoever give the warranty) must have parts available for the length of the warranty. If it is a "limited" warranty and they word it right the act may not apply.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
No, but did happen on my 8 year old Springdale. It took about a week for them to locate the same outside shower (box in the wall, faucet) that actually fit the original hole. They called me and told me it was "in", took the camper in and 20 minutes later I drove out!

Never had a problem with any of my campers (for parts) when they were new.