cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OMG - ants in California!!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We recently overnighted in a CG in Bakersfield en route to Vegas. The internet description sounded positively lovely. It's a combination orange grove and campground and all the sites have orange trees next to them. Very cool, what more could you ask for?

Pulled into the office to check in and the lady asked if we wanted spray or Comet. Say again? She goes on to say that there is an ant infestation in the area and you need to use either ant spray or Comet around all your tires and anything else that touches the ground. 'Course, they had both for sale... So we bought their last container of Comet and proceeded over to the site. She also added, "oh and BTW, don't drink the water, it's got high nitrate levels and don't pick the oranges, they aren't ripe until December". Okay then, this isn't quite what we expected. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Got down on my hands and knees and shook a little trail of Comet around all the tires and the pedestal. Was able to suspend the power cord, co-ax cable and water hose in the air. Luckily there was just enough in the container. Kinda surreal. Sorta like a crime scene investigation, you could see where other RVs had come and gone on other sites from all the circles of white powder. All that Comet on the ground can't be good for the ground water either.

DW was fearing the worst and not sure what to expect overnight. I camped in a tent over in Monterey years ago with one of my sons and woke up in the morning to find ants crawling all over the tent - inside! The last thing we wanted was ants crawling on the ceiling inside our TT. Before turning out the lights and going to bed, I had one last look outside to see if the ants had shown up yet. Nary a one. Okay, so then they're gonna come out to play during the night I guess. We both had Alfred Hitchcock nightmares that night. :E

The next morning, the ants were a no-show. All that panic and fear for nuthin'. Pffft. I even looked closely at the ground all around and couldn't even find even a trace of ant poop. Maybe they all died from ingesting Comet or the nitrates in the water, maybe the CG was duping everyone or maybe it was just too hot out (it was pretty hot).

A few folks we met at CGs asked why the heck we would've stayed in Bakersfield. Now we know why, lol. Not quite the best photos:

18 REPLIES 18

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper002 wrote:
starcraft69 wrote:
The problem is that you didn't stay at River Run RV in Bakersfield.

True, the last time I heard they don't like building their nest in the river. ๐Ÿ™‚

Unfortunately the river is dry these days but the RV park is nice. Bakersfield RV resort is nice too.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:

True, the last time I heard they don't like building their nest in the river. ๐Ÿ™‚

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a bunch of little ants at the Anaheim RV park when we took the family to Disney this summer. They're finally about gone and any still alive likely won't enjoy an Idaho winter.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
"A few folks we met at CGs asked why the heck we would've stayed in Bakersfield. Now we know why, lol."

I was going to ask you the same thing. :B
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I carry Diatomaceous Earth to put put down to make an effective barrier against ants.

I have used it for years around the house and my dogs,also found that it is a great flea deterrent too.

Effective,safe around humans and pets and is a natural product that wont contaminate the soil or the environment unlike Comet or pesticides.

I use Diatomaceous Earth to keep scorpions away. I am told that it repels/kills anything with an exoskeleton. Looks like I will have to put some in the trailer.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Home Defense sold at Low's or Home Despot easy to spray around tires, jacks, hoses, water and electric lines and anything that touches ground, living in California you have ants, tiny ones they start looking for moisture and food for the nest at the end of the summer and yes comet is biodegradable so many parks recommend it, I prefer the liquid from Home Despot it does not smell and lasts 3 months and I do not have to be on my knees, no harm to my dogs or cats, it even helps to get rid of the fleas.

navegator

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry Diatomaceous Earth to put put down to make an effective barrier against ants.

I have used it for years around the house and my dogs,also found that it is a great flea deterrent too.

Effective,safe around humans and pets and is a natural product that wont contaminate the soil or the environment unlike Comet or pesticides.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there in March this year on the way home & picked oranges. Loved it and no ants. We were thinking about going back there this fall (late Oct.) before continuing to Yuma. Hope they're all gone by then.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Fruit trees are one of those things that sound great until you have a couple. Our winter place had several, oranges, lemons, grapefruit, limes and the fruit was delicious. Then comes the mess from fallen fruit, the bugs, and worst of all, fruit rats. Those fruit trees have pretty much been replaced by flowering bushes and palm trees. Not as tasty, but a whole lot easier, rats not included.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to take care of ants.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
We recently overnighted in a CG in Bakersfield . .. . . All that Comet on the ground can't be good.

LOL...funny, entertaining narrative.

This CG is one of a few that is open year round. As with many CGs in Socal, ants can be quite a problem this time of year. Most Indian Reservation campgrounds make campers aware of this problem. Since most of these reservations also have fruit farms in the vicinity. . . persimmons are common. Fallen ripe fruits attract ants. I live in Southern Cal.

In the central valley like Bakersfield, date palm groves often leave dates on the ground and they are sweet as sugar.
I haven't seen them in a few times we camped in Bakersfield. I didn't know that Comet is ant deterrent.

They disappear during the cold season and kinda hibernate I guess but they do come back during the hot summer months. . . just like Comet Halley that pays a visit every 76 years.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Had not heard of using comet. We have ants at a fishing camp and have to hang cricket buckets by fly paper to keep them from getting eaten overnight.

And, no, Bakersfield isn't on my list of places to stop if possible but there isn't much on 99 between the Grapevine and Fresno if you are heading up to Yosemite and don't want to divert too far off 99.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to COE campgrounds in Texas where we had to use Comet to keep the ants out.

But even an infestation of sugar ants (the ones in Texas) beats the heck out of stepping on a fire ant mound. Which we are at risk of doing anywhere in Texas any time of year.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT