cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 4000 not starting

Rotzilla
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased new with TH in late 2013, and is still under warranty, however I attempting to eliminate non-genset possibilities before taking it in.
I have been running it monthly as recommended, 30 days ago it ran without incident, however it will not start now.
Its throwing a code 36, failure to shutdown properly, error possibilities according to the manual are; low fuel, spark plug, battery, air filter. All the above have been checked, and all electrical connections have been cleaned. The last shutdown was without issues.
When attempting to start, the starter button flashes and the solenoid clicks, but the starter does not turn over. I have 11.5 volts to the genset side of the solenoid, and the battery is fully charged and brand new.
Does anyone have experience with similar problems or know of something else I could check before taking it out of hibernation and dragging it 20 miles???
7 REPLIES 7

Rotzilla
Explorer
Explorer
Update, ready to be picked up. Tech said the starter motor had failed.
Hopefully no further issues.

kcny
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it isn't "stuck under compression". I am not sure if they differ by model, but on my Onan 4000 Microquiet I stuck my hand in on the left-hand side and felt around for the fan blades on the end of the flywheel. I couldn't move the blades by hand (you should be able to turn them).

If that is the case, take a 9/16" socket/wrench and a small breaker bar and gently break it loose.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27068139.cfm
32' 1992 Holiday Rambler 1000

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check for a loose or corroded ground at the generator and the battery. A bad ground will show some continuity, but will not be able to carry much current when you have a high demand device ( starter ) wanting power.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Rotzilla
Explorer
Explorer
Battery is 12.5v, the 11.5v reading is taken from the starter side of the solenoid while the start button is being depressed. The shop says the genset should start as long as the votage is more than 10v.
I even tried the boost/start function on my battery charger, it made no difference, just a click and flashing starter switch.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Your battery is almost dead. See chart below:
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Bad battery, poor connections, solenoid has failed, has poor ground.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Smax
Explorer
Explorer
Check the voltage at the battery. I believe 12 is considered dead.

I would think your voltage reading at the generator should be above 12.5 if the battery is healthy.
2010 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew
2000 25' Sunnybrook
2010 Honda SH150