cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One eyed drivers

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have lost my vision in my right eye because of a bleed due too diabetes. One day it will come back on it's own, but until then I am I safe to pull my 5 er?

Thanks
Barry
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)
16 REPLIES 16

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone.
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Husky 15K

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
It's between you, you conscience, and the doc!!! I drove tractor trailer for years with no depth perception. The doc said my brain learned to compensate for the lack of depth perception, much like one paints depth into a picture. Had no problem backing up to a loading dock without breaking anything.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Have been blind in my right eye since four years old.
I have never had any issues driving RVs be it a 40' MH or a 35' trailer.

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
When I was around 12 years old I lost most of my central vision in my left eye. I have learned how to compensate for the loss of depth perception.

While I was in the Army and Army Reserves I was a flight crew member on a helicopter. Part of the job, while picking up sling loads, was to inform the pilots the distance to the load or ground.

I was sent to a night vision goggle class about a year before I retired from flight duty. In that class they taught us how to compensate for the loss of depth perception. Things like observing the size of objects on the ground or the size of shadows. Yes, there are shadows at night with night vision goggles. I discovered that I was already using these techniques naturally.

As you are new to the loss of depth perception my advice is to be careful about judging depth. When backing into a space I have my wife watching, with a radio, as I back in. If my wife is not available, I stop and get out quite a few times to make sure Iโ€™m not about to back into something.

Safe travels.

JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
Saw Doc yesterday and he said it was OK if I thought I could do it. He also said I didn't need my glasses. More surgery next month.
I need to go camping.

Thanks folks
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Husky 15K

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
go for it, that's why they put in cruise controllers.
bumpy

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My father had similar issue - DMV said no problem but in hindsight he had a number of accidents after he lost sight and I don't think it was coincidence. I advise caution.
Kevin

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There are probably far more people driving with only one eye than you would ever imagine. If you can drive fine when not towing, then try some practice drives towing and see how you feel about it.
I had retina surgery on my left eye and could not see from it for nearly two months. But I was surprised when I realized it had very little effect on my driving ability or any other daily routines.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
In MD you only need one eye to qualify for a driver's license. don't know about any restrictions however.
bumpy

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
You will experience some depth perception issues for quite a while until you get used to it. I had surgery on my left eye one time and when I tried to drive home, I had a difficult time telling how far cars were in front of me. Like the others, check with your doc. See if the doc can recommend some activities you should perform first to get used to your new vision.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
My right eye has problems, and when I went to the DMV, they put a restriction on my license that requires a right hand rear view mirror. No big deal.

I agree with other posts. Check with your doctor.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

rovinredneck
Explorer
Explorer
I have a lazy eye 20/400 uncorectable. spent 20 yrs in the service with no problems. been driving mh and trucks for 30+ yrs...Oh and if I remember correctly, Wiley Post had a glass eye.. ๐Ÿ˜„

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
My FIL lost his right eye in a freak accident when he was in his 30s. He fulltimed with my MIL for 20 years. Still has an exemplary driving record at 93 years of age. One thing to remember is that with only one eye your blind spot is bigger and your depth perception is a little off. Keep that in mind and take extra care, especially when pulling out into traffic. Since you have a co-pilot, let her be your extra eyes. She probably does that already, right? :B Best of luck to you. Hope your eyesight restores itself soon.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
1) Check with your doctor HOWEVER

2) Had an Uncle who lost his right eye during the war - came home and drove for many. many (50+) years without any problems or accidents.

3) DH had retina deterioration and recently had surgery, after the surgery the doctor had mentioned he had little eye sight in his eye and it was amazing how he compensated (without even knowing it) for doing everything he did in his life style!

So yes it can be done, there are state legal limits for eye vision, check with the Doc and see what he/she has to say! If he/she says its ok then I would do a close to home trip to make sure I felt comfortable!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4