cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our trip from BC to Quebec city in our Tesla/T@B combo. Pics

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Hi folks. We are back from our apx 7 week trip from the Okanagan Valley of BC to Quebec city and back. Great trip. A combination of touring and visiting family we haven't seen in awhile. Although we made a few shakedown trips earlier this spring with the new trailer this was the first big trip since we downsized from the motorhome. I figure we are like goldfish and we get used to the size of our bowl. ๐Ÿ™‚

The transition was a success for us and we had a great time. We had no issues with the trailer and everything went smooth. This is the first rig we bought that had no fit and finish issues. Hats off to Nucamp for making a good trailer.

A few shots of the trailer and interior first and then we'll post a few pics of the trip.

Our new little wandering house. 18 feet of fun.

We wanted a separate booth and sleeping area and a made up bed.

And on to the trip. I'll keep the commentary to a minimum.

Revelstoke Dam is a must see. Takes about an hour and a half for the tour. They have room for one more turbine which they think they will need within 12 years. You can see the missing number 6 tube on the right.

Also in Revelstoke is a great rail museum.

And the award for the prettiest DC fast charger in Canada goes to Field BC. Its worth hiking the town and reading the history. Heads up, one hour max parking on the fast charger before you get idle fees. its a reasonably slow charger (50 KW) so allows for some hiking thru the town.

We went to Drumheller to see the Royal Tyrell Museum. Very worth it as well. Really, don't miss it. Some very interesting hiking thru the badlands as well.

We'll jump ahead a few provinces as other than visiting family we kind of went thru manitoba and northern ontario pretty fast.

A free beer if someone can identify this land mark.

We did a little driveway camping visiting family in eastern ontario and then on to Quebec. We haven't been to Quebec city since our military days so it was good to get back. My french was a little rusty but within 5 or 10 minutes I was back in the groove...mostly. ๐Ÿ™‚

Like going to europe.

A little poutine for energy. ๐Ÿ™‚

On the road again. These Superchargers with trailer stalls made the recharging quicker as there was less chance of having to unhook.

The other end of the lake is in the US. This is waterton national park in Alberta. We had to hike the bears hump to get to this spot. Tough climb. Maybe an hour or so.

This is the bears hump from below. Its the flat mesa about halfway up the mountain.

Easy to soak up a week in Waterton. So many hikes and things to do.

We stayed in a lot of provincial parks. Usually 20 to 30 dollars. Some had power, others had no services.

Some of the Superchargers had back access for trailers. Handy.

Anyway. A few pics from our journey in our downsized combo. We are home for 7 weeks and then on the road to Vancouver island for a month of touring up to the north end. Hope you enjoyed our journey. Great to be back in BC.

Stay safe on the road all.

J and A
24 REPLIES 24

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
Sounds like a perfect trip with a well thought out combo of car and trailer. It's nice to read a report on EV use in the real world with numbers included.

Yah it was a lot of funโ€ฆand a lot of hiking. :). Weโ€™ll wait for the summer heat to subside before we head out again. We do a fair amount of dry camping which means no chance of air conditioning. The fantastic fan helps but after a few days it can get wearing.

Cheers.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a perfect trip with a well thought out combo of car and trailer. It's nice to read a report on EV use in the real world with numbers included.
Puma 30RKSS

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
thomasmnile wrote:
Beautiful photos, looks like a great trip and thank God that is a Canada Goose statue. Can you imagine the pile of............otherwise ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice setup as well. Think the NASCAR expression is you're riding high, wide and handsome.

No mechanical issues with the X, drive unit or otherwise?

No issues with the car. (Model Y). We had an intermittent tire pressure sensor which was annoying as I check pressures everyday. But it went away after a few days. Weird. And I got my 7 pin trailer connector really wet one day and the car thru a controller code when I hooked it up. It also went away after the connector dried out. Apparently that happens according to the Tesla towing forum.

There is a 19 kilometre hill on highway 3 in southern BC going from east to west. Coming down that hill we gained 9 percent charge. :). Some parts of the hill were 6 and 7 percent grade. Kind of amusing at the time. :). We never have to use the brakes on hills regardless of the grade. Kinda cool. Anyway, we decided the easy resolution to all these energy issues is just to always be going down hill. I mean, I canโ€™t believe nobody ever thought of this before. :).

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful photos, looks like a great trip and thank God that is a Canada Goose statue. Can you imagine the pile of............otherwise ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice setup as well. Think the NASCAR expression is you're riding high, wide and handsome.

No mechanical issues with the X, drive unit or otherwise?

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Gjac wrote:
Very interesting report. What would you say the added costs of towing your trailer would be? I'm guessing the weight of the trailer would be at least 3500lbs loaded for travel. For example, if your tesla alone can go 100 miles on 30 KW would the trailer add another 10 KW? What is the tow rating of the car?

Hi Gjac. The trailer weighs about 3420 ish pounds loaded for camping including beer and smokies. (The two most important food groups). Iโ€™m not an expert but I would say the car loses half its range when towing. So instead of apx 6 kilometres to a kWh we see apx 3 kilometres per kWh depending on conditions.

I think the trailer shape has a lot to do with it. We ran into folks in Ontario towing the smaller T@B 320 which has a lower profile and is narrower and they are getting about 20 to 30 percent better efficiency than us. We thought about that trailer but we wanted a made up bed, separate booth and little bigger bathroom.

The cars tow rating is 3500 pounds.

Hope that helps.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very interesting report. What would you say the added costs of towing your trailer would be? I'm guessing the weight of the trailer would be at least 3500lbs loaded for travel. For example, if your tesla alone can go 100 miles on 30 KW would the trailer add another 10 KW? What is the tow rating of the car?

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
harley hitchiker wrote:
other data about the tesla would be ,what was average cost per kilowatt hr. How many hours were spent charging ,and how far could you go on a average charge.
Looks like a great trip ,beautiful scenery,and apparently trouble free travel

So I found the screen shot I took of the Tesla app on day 31 of our trip. Unfortunately the app uses a sliding 31 day window so I don't have the whole 7 week trip. But this is probably indicative of the average kilowatt costs. It might have gotten a little cheaper towards the end as we were using more BC hydro and FLO DC fast chargers in southern BC and they tend to be a little cheaper than Superchargers. All numbers in Canadian dollars.

So the way the APP breaks it down is three colours.

Blue is charging at home. There is none because, well, we weren't at home ๐Ÿ™‚

Red is supercharger which was most of our DC fast charging except for a little BC hydro or FLO charging later in the trip and maybe once at field BC in the early days of the trip.

Grey is "other" mostly no cost to us charging, which includes driveway charging at relatives, campgrounds and some free public charging at tourist info and welcome centres, but also a couple FLO and BC hydro stations that the Tesla App doesn't know how much they were. Probably about 30 to 35 bucks worth or maybe a little less. Looks like for at least that 31 days the average is around 38 cents per kwh. At the end of 31 days we were probably around the 2/3 point in the trip but not sure.

Hope that answers your questions. Sorry I can't be more accurate. We made a reasonable attempt at tracking some of this stuff but were more focused on destinations and hikes etc.

Cheers.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
What a marvelous report!

Any idea what percentage of charging was at campgrounds?

Hard to say for sure Don but maybe 15 to 20 percent โ€ฆish?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What a marvelous report!

Any idea what percentage of charging was at campgrounds?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Nice write up, and very nice photos. Thanks for all the info and data. Always interesting to see real world information.

Thanks. All the good pics are credited to Angela. I suck at taking pics. :).

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice write up, and very nice photos. Thanks for all the info and data. Always interesting to see real world information.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Caveman Charlie wrote:
Thanks for the photos. It looks like it was a lot of fun !

Thank you. It was a blast. Although I remember some of the hikes being easier. :)!

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
J herb wrote:
Looks like a great trip and I like your Tesla and trailer setup
Nice photos, looking forward to more of your trips.

Thank you. We only have a short trip to the US (Washington state) coming up in august. We like to travel when itโ€™s cooler. After the September long weekend we are going to follow the gold trail to Vancouver, take the ferry to the island and work our way to tofino. Then the ferry over to the Sunshine Coast and work our way back down to whistler and the back way back to the Okanagan. We are giving ourselves 4 weeks, maybe 5 weeks if we squeeze in salt spring island. Should be fun.

We are also thinking of a long slow pacific coast tour down to Malibu and then work our way down to San Felipe to escape the Canadian winter for a couple months. Time will tell. Maybe next year. Weโ€™ll see.

Cheers.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the photos. It looks like it was a lot of fun !
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.