cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overpass Minimum Height

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we just added a 2nd AC to the front of our new 5th wheel, we are wondering if we could be too high overall when travelling under highway overpasses. Anyone know the minimum clearance height for most highways & interstates? We look to be close to 13' or so when hooked up. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL
19 REPLIES 19

Bedlam
Use tractor pull through when in doubt on the interstates. On secondaries, donโ€™t be afraid to ask about heights or to be spotted for clearance.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, this tread has got me all worked up again. I need help creating a national movement to make it mandatory that ALL GAS STATIONS POST CLEARANCE HEIGHTS ON THE ISLAND CANOPIES. Iโ€™m dead serious here, Iโ€™m 13-2 to the top of the AC and have drove by a lot of stations that that were probably good, itโ€™s a bigger issue traveling cross country with the greater distance between stops. Anyone want to help with a letter campaign or anything else that would help? We need to make a big stink for a small issue.
The older we get, the faster we go

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
If you are travelling to Canada anytime, write down the metric conversion height as well.

Very good idea.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Quadcab wrote:
Since we just added a 2nd AC to the front of our new 5th wheel, we are wondering if we could be too high overall when travelling under highway overpasses. Anyone know the minimum clearance height for most highways & interstates? We look to be close to 13' or so when hooked up. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

You need to measure it. We look close to 13' the over pass looks close to 13'4" well guess what you are 13'2" and the over pass turns out to be 12'11". There goes the top 3" of your AC
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Also know that, that sign with the bridge/overpass/etc height is at the bridge

If the road dips down underneath the bridge..."YOUR" actual height maybe more than you measured on level ground...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
โ€œI also have clearance issues at coin op sled car washes.โ€

Lol this brings back a memory. I used to have clearance issues but the wife was spotting for me pulling into one in Montana and she helped me remove the offending clearance issue....well it was only half removed at that point, more like crunched up!
Best part was we were pulling out and my 12 year old at the time, takes his headphones off and says โ€œwhy didnโ€™t you use that outside bay right there dad??โ€
I coulda slapped him!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
My truck camper is just under 13.5โ€™. Itโ€™s fine on interstates, but I had reroute twice in Greensboro, NC on local routes yesterday due to low railway bridges closer to 12โ€™. Itโ€™s not unique to NC - I had same problem in downtown Spokane, WA. I also have clearance issues at coin-op self car washes.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
(We look to be close to 13' or so when hooked up)!!

this is your first problem you need to know not guess! the front AC will be your highest point put a straight edge on top of it and measure to the ground . remember It is not just highway overpasses ,its trees and utility wires as well that you need to watch for !
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine on interstates......highways will be a โ€œcrapshootโ€! You should be good on most highways, but thereโ€™s always the posibility one may โ€œsneakโ€ up on you. If you stay on โ€œdesignatedโ€ truck routes, you should be good, but, you will miss some of the good things about rvโ€™ing. Weโ€™re pushing 13โ€™6โ€ , and are cautious about road choices. Overpasses are โ€œNOTโ€ your only concern. Last year, we were on a well used rural 2 lane road - no overpasses - we found a low hanging limb. No serious damage.....but contact none the less!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Used to travel on business to this area in S Carolina and saw a couple of accidents on thus bridge

https://youtu.be/USu8vT_tfdw

Never know when you might come across this situation...when Mr Murphy stikes...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Watch side roads and highways. We were in the south and there was a RR bridge that was 10' my bold gamin sent me there. Was saved by the guy in a corner house that came yelling at me as I turned. I was able to back up and go another way.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
If you are travelling to Canada anytime, write down the metric conversion height as well.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m 11โ€™4โ€, as I am sure the rest of us are, give or take. When I am towing I have that dimension on a sticky taped to my dashboard to remind me just in case I approach a low slung looking bridge. You never know when it might come in handy.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Put a level on it and a tape measure to the ground then put a sticker on your dash board.

50 mph isn't when you want your mind racing to remember what the height is. I'm 12'10" and been under a couple of them that where less than 13'6".

I pulled into an older gas station in a pinch that wasn't posted and looked low. As I pulled in I kept going up the ladder to look and the gal came out and said yes its low, another guy busted out a row of lights the other day. I wasn't double towing at the time and backed out.

As far as bridges etc, buy the motor carriers road atlas. Since I'm double towing and diesel I try to always go to truck stops.
Google Earth/street view is very handy for planning.

This is no rule but the newer places along the main routes seem to all be fine. The low places I've run into were older more rural and old rail under passes. Its reassuring to see semi trucks on your route.