cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Owner Manual Information

yukhoman
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to see frequently in our search for a vehicle to tow, check the owner's manual to see if a vehicle can be towed four-down. I have searched numerous manuals, especially for the 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i, and I have not seen one manual that addresses this issue. MotorHome magazine show the 2015 Forester to be OK with manual transmission. How do I know for sure if it is OK?
9 REPLIES 9

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Subaru has taken all the auto trans models off the TOAD listing. I believe the manual transmission is now the only one that can be flat towed.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

I think this is pretty clear, your speed is limited to 20 mph and for no more than 31 miles. Won't work as a Toad for an RV. Get a car carrier and then you'll be OK.

it appears to me that the oP is talking about a stick shift toad and the manual indicates that that is ok. the CVt is limited.
bumpy

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope you guys realize the CVT transmission is the automatic and not the standard. Remco shows the manual to be towable. The OP's should be towable.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Your 2015 Subaru Forester:

Towing

1. Release the parking brake and put the transmission in the N /neutral position.2. The ignition switch should be in the ACC position while the vehicle is being towed.3. Take up slack in the towline slowly to prevent damage to the vehicle

For CVT models, the traveling speed must be limited to less than 20 mph (30 km/h) and the traveling distance to less than 31 miles (50 km). For greater speeds and distances, transport your vehicle on a flat-bed truck

I think this is pretty clear, your speed is limited to 20 mph and for no more than 31 miles. Won't work as a Toad for an RV. Get a car carrier and then you'll be OK.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
From page 437 of the 2015 Forester owners manual: So if you have a manual transmission, you can tow 4 down.

Towing with all wheels on the ground

1. Release the parking brake and put the transmission in the N /neutral position.
2. The ignition switch should be in the ACC position while the vehicle is being towed.

WARNING . Never turn the ignition switch to the LOCK / OFF position while the vehicle is being towed be- cause the steering wheel and the direction of the wheels will be locked.
Remember that the brake booster and power steering do not function when the engine is not running. Because the engine is turned off, it will take greater effort to operate the brake pedal and steering wheel.

For CVT models, the traveling speed must be limited to less than 20 mph (30 km/h) and the traveling distance to less than 31 miles (50 km). For greater speeds and distances, transport your vehicle on a flat-bed truck

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the manual should have something under "towing behind a motorhome" or "recreational towing" if it is "authorized" by the manufacturer. if not covered I wouldn't tow one myself.
will motorhome magazine pay to replace your tranny if it blows up?
bumpy

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned a 2001, 2011 and a 2015 Subaru Forester and the manuals all say to never tow with any of the wheels down. Conventional tow truck towing with the front lifted is a definite no-no. All are/were automatics in my case.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
yukhoman wrote:
I seem to see frequently in our search for a vehicle to tow, check the owner's manual to see if a vehicle can be towed four-down. I have searched numerous manuals, especially for the 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i, and I have not seen one manual that addresses this issue. MotorHome magazine show the 2015 Forester to be OK with manual transmission. How do I know for sure if it is OK?

What does the owners manual say under "Recreational towing?"
One source I trust is Remco. They have ben making their money making things towable.
www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php
I would double check but it does appear it is listed as towable.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned 3 Subaru(s). All were/are automatics. All explicitly say that they must be towed 4 up.

I can't help you with the manual tranny requirements for towing a Subaru.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro