Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parvo crisis - need cleaning advice

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I live full time in a park and several of the dogs contracted Parvo
(CPV) recently. It is a very dangerous disease for the animals, though humans can't catch that particular kind. Bleach is the only thing that kills it, and I'm sure I must have tracked it inside my RV because it was raining heavily and muddy at the time. I have a 2017 Coleman Lantern TT and I believe the floors are vinyl (imitation wood). I read conflicting opinions on the web about whether I can clean the floors with a dilution of bleach or not; hoping some of you experienced RV'ers can share your experience and advice. My daughter brings her dog over and even though he is vaccinated against it there are lots of different mutations of it and the vaccine can't protect against all. Again, nothing but bleach will kill it (or a fire, which isn't really in my plans). Any advice appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody, especially the tip about ventilation. As for the grass, I'm in central Texas where grass burns up from the heat or dies from the drought anyway, so no worries there. My neighbors sprayed their yard with bleach and the dang weeds grew larger and wanted more. Unfortunately fencing in the yard doesn't help because the rain spreads the contamination.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've used plenty bleach and soap in my yard cleaning coolers and other funky smelling camping gear and never killed the grass.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
bamaboy wrote:
I live full time in a park and several of the dogs contracted Parvo
(CPV) recently. It is a very dangerous disease for the animals, though humans can't catch that particular kind. Bleach is the only thing that kills it, and I'm sure I must have tracked it inside my RV because it was raining heavily and muddy at the time. I have a 2017 Coleman Lantern TT and I believe the floors are vinyl (imitation wood). I read conflicting opinions on the web about whether I can clean the floors with a dilution of bleach or not; hoping some of you experienced RV'ers can share your experience and advice. My daughter brings her dog over and even though he is vaccinated against it there are lots of different mutations of it and the vaccine can't protect against all. Again, nothing but bleach will kill it (or a fire, which isn't really in my plans). Any advice appreciated.
We used to have a Lab that got Parvo despite being vaccinated at about 10 years old. She used to eat poop out in the yard all the time. Coyotes are carriers and we have them around here and their droppings can have the virus. We now have a 4' high fence around out acreage and haven't seen one since (but can sure hear them out there) pus we have another fence around the back yard.

Our Lab started pooping out blood and abnormal looking poop. Rushed her to our Vet pdq. He was able to save her. Eventually died from simply old age at 17. Our Springer was also vaccinated but did not contract the Parvo that our Lab did.

If full time in one location, not sure how to deal with that other than make sure the dog is up to date on shots and you do not let the dog anywhere near other dog or animal doo-doo. Bleach inside our out? Yes, inside on floors but will of course kill grass. What about fencing around your RV to keep the dog contained in an area you can control/monitor? And obviously, keep the dog on a leash outside at all times which you should be doing in an RV park anyway.

You also want to prevent parvo from being tracked inside on footwear or clothing. Other animals like rabbits and squirrels, while not carriers, can track the virus around after becoming in contact with it. Take shoes off outside.

Our lab and our Springer spaniel ate rat poison once. Rushed them to our Vet immediately and he saved both. Our Springer had 100 times the lethal dose in his stomach. Our vet trained in India and had a special technique he uses. Some dogs have 9 lives and even parvo or rat poison won't affect them.

If it's other dogs carrying the parvo into the park, maybe they won't be around very long anyway and no longer tracking it in. :E

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would think bleach solution is safe on vinyl provided you

1: Have enough ventelation (You do NOT want to be breathing bleach fumes)

and 2: YOu do not let it sit there for days on end (Well it won't cause it won't last that long but. I'm exaggerating the time line a bit)

IF you need to be sure.. Try a small spot out of the way where nobody will see it.

NOTE: first Spring de-winterizing my RV.. Blasted fitting came apart nd I pumped gallons of bleach water onto the both vinyl and carpet floors.. They have never been so clean :). (no damage)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times