cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PB Blaster Lubricant

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I can't recall the gentleman's name but I had to post a note to thank him for saving me some money. Both my black and gray water valves had become very, very hard to pull out to dump the tanks so I asked the RV Net members for advice. An enterprising member suggested I try PB Blaster which I found at Lowe's. First application didn't produce great results so I waited a bit and sprayed them again and they began to loosen up a bit. By the third application they are opening and closing just like new. I'll be keeping a can in my RV from now on.
22 REPLIES 22

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
To the OP, yes, the valve has a rubber seal on it so use caution what you spray on it. Some use a light film of Vaseline.

Vaseline is petroleum based and will dissolve most rubber seals.
Camped in every state

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, yes, the valve has a rubber seal on it so use caution what you spray on it. Some use a light film of Vaseline.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Carb Cleaner wrote:
blw2 wrote:
WD is also not a very good penetrator....

But my question re. this trhead....
Don't thse knife valves have some sort of elastomer (rubber) seal?
I wonder if it is solvent friendly?

I wondered about that, too, so I use silicone spray. I hit my plastic, hard to rotate, fresh water tank drain valve while I'm under there.
A very inexpensive and highly effective penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. A vinegar-dressing squeeze bottle or mustard bottle work well as a delivery device.

This is a good caution to those that spray WD-40 over everything. WD-40 will deteriorate some rubbers. I don't know if the rubber in these tank valves are susceptible but may be. It's a long story but I almost lost my life due to WD-40 and the loss of some rubber seals.

AFAIK, WD-40 is still formulated using coconut oil and petroleum solvents. It probably contains some other types of light oil, also.

I have some PB Blaster on the shelf. It works pretty good for what it's intended for.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
blw2 wrote:

I wondered about that, too, so I use silicone spray. I hit my plastic, hard to rotate, fresh water tank drain valve while I'm under there.
A very inexpensive and highly effective penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. A vinegar-dressing squeeze bottle or mustard bottle work well as a delivery device.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again and I forgot to add that I also used PB on one the RV's door hinges that had developed a loud squeak. Blaster eliminated that problem instantly as well.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
When my valves got hard to push/pull, WD worked instantly. Good to know PB also works.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duck wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
Raymon wrote:
WD40 is actually a "water displacement" agent. That is what the "WD" stands for. It provides little if any lubrication.

Ray

This is so true, but it is hopeless trying to convince people here.

Bruce

It does have some lubricity to it. Look at the can the next time you go to Home Depot or Ace.
Don

Right from the WD 40 Website.....LINK

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact:
While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
Raymon wrote:
WD40 is actually a "water displacement" agent. That is what the "WD" stands for. It provides little if any lubrication.

Ray

This is so true, but it is hopeless trying to convince people here.

Bruce

It does have some lubricity to it. Look at the can the next time you go to Home Depot or Ace.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

cmoecmoe
Explorer
Explorer
PB Blaster also makes a general purpose lubricant called PB50. It is a much better product than WD40.

PB50 Link

Check out their other products as well on their web site. I have been pleased with all of the products I have tried.

Blaster Products

~ Craig
Craig & Annette
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax
2014 300x12 XLR Toy Hauler
2008 Harley Ultra Classic

blw2
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
PB-Blaster and Cycle Break-away are the two best penetrating oils I have ever used. They penetrate through rust and crud better than just about everything non destructive.

HOWEVER they are NOT oils for lubricating (long term) so you need to use something else to keep things working smooth.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
silicone spray

x2
Love silicone lubes. Probly most useful all-around lube you can use. Available in spray & liquid applications.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Love the smell of PB Blaster in the morning!

Yes, it's good stuff, but silicone spray works great on the valves too. Just about any lubricant will work.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your welcome and thanks for letting us know the outcome. To often people get a resolution to their problem and cannot post the solution because the thread has been closed.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!