Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Person New to RVing Requests Your Insights

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all-

This is a post that a new user "RicJoyner" made in a very long, older thread. I hope it's okay to re-post it as a new, stand-alone topic. Hopefully it will get more exposure this way and the OP will get best benefit of different opinions and insights.

The poster seems very sincere, so please be kind, polite and thoughtful in your replies. ๐Ÿ™‚

---start of Ricjoyner's post---

Posted: 09/12/15 01:26am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Gene and everyone i am very grateful for your posts. Several questions for you guys.
I am not handy and if something broke down i would not know how to fix it like you did, gene. I do not own an rv. Shopping. I did not have a good experience in years past with popup campers in campgrounds. Loud drunk people and noises i dont want to mention.

Gene we are in the same spot you are. Small or large? Newer or older? Do this or dont? Car toad or not? Diesel or not? Small class a or small b/c?

We plan to travel for the heat of florida for 3 months but worry about the cost of fuel, staying in tacky campgrounds, loud drunk people with unmentionable sounds, costs that eat into retirement, fixing stuff i am not sure how to fix or want to.

So we found a class a discovery 2005 38u we saw and loved. But i was queasy walking around it as it moved and it was enormous. Price was exceptionally good at 62k with everything i could see was perfect with the exception of being tough to cool in 92 degree heat and high humidity. I even drove this beast.

But i cant see where rving saves money over a car and hotel or with renting a cabin or house for a few weeks and moving on?
But as a former ceo this industry is intriguing to me because of the amount of cost there is in buying coaches and the cost people put into it (mods, expense of storage etc) and what i rarely see is people who decided to quit and it wasnt for them which makes me skeptical or should i not be? When i walked up to the rig today the owner was telling all the money he put into it! Great, i thought, a money pit on wheels? And your post confirmed it with what you found and all the little stuff you did on the maiden voyage. I dont even like changing lightbulbs. Nor do i want to take the time. The owner put in new batteries but i noticed the wires were already coroded at the terminal! You know the kind that needs baking soda and cleaned? And i saw blisters under the paint on some of the doors so can i assume rust?
This guy said you need to get to your camp site early or you may be sleeping on the road and that rest areas are sketchy and you need to be there early as well. He said it wasnt for him and his "15 year old meanager". He said he wasnt a sitter and had to be moving all the time thus going to a campground was boring for them. This would be the same for me. I dont drink but thinking about a project like yours may open a door to drinking or should i say a road i dont want to go down? In my case drinking does cause the road to rise to meet me! (Sorry for the rv motiff) So pulling into a place to stay is not for us to stay in one spot and thus towing a car is a must to explore. But how much work and added expense is there in towing? Is diesel better than gas and how much horsepower is there in each and what do you need for hp? What scares me is that people buy these class a and take off with no training? How is that legal?

Any thoughts? But pls avoid comments like this; "hey ric stick to a car and hotel, start drinking and leaves us rv geeks alone". But honestly if it didnt sound so complicated i may love it. All the systems on board scared the snot out of me and the generator kept cutting out even with over 25% fuel. Said he would have it fixed. Besides the bigger the better crowd makes sense to me since constantly filling water or tanks or dumping poop (pc rv word for blackwater) is a pain. This "ship" had more guages than my four screen computer. Pls help me make sense of this new "community" and experience. Blessings!

* This post was edited 09/12/15 01:35am by Ricjoyner *

---end of Ricjoyner's post---

Link to RicJoyner's originally-placed post and a few replies
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!
17 REPLIES 17

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish he would repeat the question. As it stands, it's a bit unclear.
Is this a "what would you do inquiry"?
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Rving is fun but if you think you can save money on vacations or living full time this way, do not do it.
We have had 4 different 5th wheels and the one we have now we ordered from factory to full time in. Very comfortable with all the comforts of a home.
We have done the RV thing for several years and then full time for last 8 years.
You should not choose this life style to save money. You must choose this because you want to do it and can afford it.

In all the years we have done this... we have never seen or encountered loud drunk people. I would think if the campground managers know about anyone like this, they would make them leave. We do choose our campgrounds carefully and if it does not look right or feel right we do not stay there. Trust your instincts.
Most neighbors in campground are very nice people. Have never had any encounter with bad neighbors.
If anyone does.....the RV has wheels....just move!

Life is good.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
I highly suspect the RV life is no in his future.

Yikes! - I *know* reading the thread is no in *my* future!..:S

Add my vote to whatever point of view, pro or con you choose...:C

~

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
This was a clunky way of re-posting his questions. He didn't even ask you to do it. I'd be surprised is he's even reading this.

Actually, the OP has been around and he said he was thankful for the information.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
RVing can save money.First,maybe you should be looking at a trailer instead of a motorhome. Motorhomes are expensive to buy and fix and the large ones gets terrible gas milage. I have a 27ft TT with one slide. I pull it with a van and get about 10mpg when towing on interstate highways.We bought ours new for $27,000,but you can find good used units for half the price. Stay in state or federal campgrounds.If you are over 62,get the America the Beautiful card and get half off camping fees.I just booked a campsite at Yellowstone for $13 a night.That's alot cheaper than a hotel.You can cook your own meals instead of eating out every day.That alone could save you $40 to $50 a day for 2. Plus you sleep in your own bed every night,if you need to use the bathroom while traveling you just pull over. If you want to quit RVing,you sell the trailer and recoup some of your money.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
This was a clunky way of re-posting his questions. He didn't even ask you to do it. I'd be surprised is he's even reading this.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Gene_M
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't seen any posts from the OP, I think he got scared off.

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Rick. Wanting to RV is one thing. Really looking into it, if it's a new pastime, can be pretty overwhelming. We've been in your shoes. I love RVing because our 2nd home is with us. There is no packing/unpacking suitcases, no digging toiletries out of a bag. There's food I like in the fridge, a comfy bed/pillows, and a great big windshield with a easy chair for enjoying the drive. We like the feeling of being home wherever we park, whether that's a patch of grass with no hookups at the State Fair or a deluxe campground. RVing is not cheaper than hotels/cars for us.

We dove right into the deep end with only a few nights tent camping experience. I read a whole book about RVing, and did about 70% of the basics it covered by spending one night in an RV. There are a lot of details to keep in mind, but it's not like you're building a space shuttle. There are many checklists already floating around on the internet for what to pack, how to set up, what to inspect before you hit the road, and so on. We don't do mechanical things either, and yes, that help costs plenty, but we know our limits.

I'll do my best with your questions, and I'm not an expert.
Paint bubbles on the door frame aren't necessarily rust. It could be poor adhesion due to improper surface prep. Check underneath the rig and in the propane compartment (where you can see into the chassis) to get a better idea of rust.
Gas or diesel? That's a constant debate here. I'd suggest you first get the floorplan you like, and let that and your budget determine the answer. There are a few tips for knowing if a floorplan is suitable. To see if the dimensions work, sit on the toilet and stand up, stand in the shower, lie on the bed and on the sofa. Have the cook decide if the kitchen layout will work or be a pain. Can you live with the storage inside for clothes and kitchen stuff? How about outside/basement storage -- will it work for your grill, golf clubs, etc.?
Towing adds slightly to fuel usage. If you want to tow without putting the car on a dolly (called "flat towing" or "4 wheels down"), you may need a different vehicle. With some vehicles it's a simple process to hook up and go. With others it's best to be a bit mechanical. Horsepower ranges from about 300-425 on diesels. Any of them tow a vehicle just fine. I'm not familiar with gassers, but there are a lot on the road towing.
It's a good idea to look at several rigs to get your bearings. You'll pick up on comparisons right away and start seeing things you do and don't want. It's quite possible that the RV you're referring to isn't the right one for you.
Best wishes!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Renting is the obvious suggestion but differs hugely from owning in the respect that if you rent you likely will not go too far away from home and just go to a semi local campground 200 to 400 miles away for a relatively short period of time that will not give you the experience you are searching for. Sure, it will give you the experience of "camping" at some relatively standard type of facility.

Owning gives you the mindset of the freedom to hop in your RV and just go to wherever your heart desires. Lots of campgrounds have a very active social sceene for the long termers, or you might research putting your former skills to work for others by volunteering around the country in places of need. Reinvent yourself. Its all what you desire to do with your new found time in your retirement. Being constantly busy is over rated I have discovered as I was like that too. A good hike in a national park is very life affirming.

Learning how your coach works and what it needs in routine maintenance is part of the package. Now that said, you don't need to go to diesel mechanics school to do it. Some stuff is best left to those whose livelihood it is. All the other stuff just look at it as a learning opportunity. Its good for the mind.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
renting is a good idea to see if this is for you even in the slightest.

it seems 'romantic' and 'alot of freedom' and 'wonderful travel as you want' etc etc....but you have got to love the lifestyle enough to 'learn' to fix things, drive bigger rigs, understand your rv systems etc.

a jockey must learn to ride a horse if he is interested in racing
a Dr. must go thru med school and learn the whole body even if he is going to only specialize in one area.
a photographer learns all about their equipment they are using and lighting and all the bells and whistles to their craft

and so on and so on

if you do not want ANY responsibility in your travel (opt for hotels where everything is done for you)----then rv might not be in your future.

it is ok cause everyone has to find what suits them best. we love our rv and understand our rig and all that goes with it and will fix things etc. when needed and we enjoy that ๐Ÿ™‚ so we fit well into the rv lifestyle and wouldn't think of ever going back to a hotel ever.

so renting is a good place to start to see if it is even remotely something you might enjoy. good luck

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I completely agree with the rental idea. It's the only way to really find out if you will even like the experience. Not knowing or wanting to do the routine maintenance is very understandable and I respect you for admitting that to yourself upfront. The cost of hiring everything done will get quite expensive. The part I can argue is the drunk and obnoxious part. Sure, it will ocassionally happen but is far from the norm. You'll probably find a bunch of kids on spring break getting crazy and a little wild at a hotel before you find a family group or bunch of retirees going crazy. I also find that campgrounds have lower crime rates than hotels located in an average city. All I can say is try it. If you don't like it, fine. At least if you're renting you haven't sunk a bunch of cash to find out. Good luck!

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
I fully get everything you are speaking about but for me I don't like hotels and the possibility of bed bugs; I don't like flying because of all the stress in a full day to get there and a full day to get back; the stressed people at the airport; hotel beds and eating out at restaurants. You dont see anything on an airplane that you do see in a RV. I bring all my conviences of home including my wonderful coffee maker. I make my own food which is much more healthy than restaurants. The saying it is not the destination but the journey itself must have been a RV owner. Yes....I have sunk alot of money into the RV but I have learned alot....love my floor plan....the make of my RV...and the feeling I have driving. I will never get my money back but I would never had the experiences I have had nor gone to the places and seen the things I have seen without the RV. It is a very personal decision and there really are no right or wrongs as long as you are passionate about your decisions and experiences. Rent a class A coach.....take a couple of good long trips and then do the pro list. It will be longer than the con list....good luck! It is definitely an experience.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Ultimately to enjoy RV'ing you must have a sense of adventure. You must not fear the unknown. You must embrace the challenges of traveling to new unfamiliar places.
Secondly you should understand RV'ing is seldom cheaper than car/hotel.
part of the expense involves fuel and maintenance which is constant in an RV.
Being a DIY guy also helps otherwise you pay for routine maintenance etc.
Despite all of the above many enjoy the RV way of life.
If you want routine,sedate living without any change of scenery, I suggest buying a rancher or condo. However if you enjoy new experiences, want to travel and see the country while having the conveniences of home and sleep in your own bed RV'ing maybe appealing to you.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
not too many hotels or eating joints when you are in the middle of the wilderness beside a steam of water. It's all about what a person is comfortable with or without.