cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

portable fire pit

Paul_G_
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering which portable fire pit you are using and why or how did you pick that one, also where to get the best bang for the buck insofar as pricing. How important do you consider a top for it, I would think that would be a good idea.

Thanks.

Paul...
34 REPLIES 34

mikemcmanigal
Explorer
Explorer
I use a vulcan fake campfire. Too many fire restrictions in areas we like to travel in. I made a campfire ring out of black plastic flower border. Realistic enough that several hosts & employees have run up to yell at me for ignoring fire ban. One even had a bucket of water. Thank goodness he didn't douse it. Is electric. Black metal bowl has three colored lights, a fan, & gauze to simulate very realistic flames. Unfortunately, I can't find Vulcan campfires on the internet may have gone out of business. Saw mine at an RV show several yearsago. ago.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
BigRabbitMan wrote:
I attended some FMC Owners Club rallies at a campground that provided the washtub fire pits. They were great for encouraging the group to gather around the fire and socialize in the evening. My problem was that they aren't very portable in the storage compartments of a motor home.

I then got to thinking about how to make a portable fire box. I came up with a portable design. I am going to attempt to incude a couple of pictures.

That didn't work so here is a link to an album of pictures of the FMC Firebox. Be sure to go to the last couple of pictues to see how it looks with a fire in it!

Subsequently, about ten FMC coach owners have purchased a firebox with their coach number in the end panels. Because of the detail of the coach, the time on the laser metel cutting unit did push the cost of these units up to the $200 area. But note the compactness for storage in your coach/trailer - only about an inch of height!

The portable design of that would be nice. I do think though that after a few years it will Burn / Rust out but, they all do that after awhile.

The bottom of this one is 1/4 inch plate steel. After many fires it shows no sign of deterioration. The ends and sides are 1/8 inch.

The sides did warp a little from the heat so I had to restraighten them a little. But still no signs of wear on them either. I painted it with high temp paint from Napa, but still got it hot enough to burn the paint off. I will repaint before next season. I have had mine since 2010.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The parks I frequent use old truck or even tractor rims for fire pits.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigRabbitMan wrote:
I attended some FMC Owners Club rallies at a campground that provided the washtub fire pits. They were great for encouraging the group to gather around the fire and socialize in the evening. My problem was that they aren't very portable in the storage compartments of a motor home.

I then got to thinking about how to make a portable fire box. I came up with a portable design. I am going to attempt to incude a couple of pictures.

That didn't work so here is a link to an album of pictures of the FMC Firebox. Be sure to go to the last couple of pictues to see how it looks with a fire in it!

Subsequently, about ten FMC coach owners have purchased a firebox with their coach number in the end panels. Because of the detail of the coach, the time on the laser metel cutting unit did push the cost of these units up to the $200 area. But note the compactness for storage in your coach/trailer - only about an inch of height!

The portable design of that would be nice. I do think though that after a few years it will Burn / Rust out but, they all do that after awhile.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
The thing I like about a washtub is I put a lid on the top and the heat gets forced out the sides and is a much warmer fire for sitting around. We haven't been able to have a fire at home, stove or outdoor for most of December because of the really nice weather and inversion layer. We can use a fire if there is no other heat source in the home. I think my wall heater is going to go belly up soon.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer

BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
A CG we often go to uses washer drums with a tire rim attached as a base for there fire pits. Rent them for $2 a day.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tahiti16 wrote:
Caveman sounds like your city is one giant HOA! ๐Ÿ˜ž

Oh yes, I don't live in that town if I did I would have started a revolution. I didn't read all the rules but, some of them are things like #1 no lawn mowers setting outside. (problem with this rule is a lot of the houses in that town have no garage and the lots are not big enough to put a garage on so what are you suppose to do with your lawn mower) #2 no trailers in the back yard, and your not suppose to ride your snowmobile or ATV on city streets so how do you move it without a trailer? #3 You can't leave your baby strollers outside. #4 no wooden outdoor furniture. So that means no picnic tables. #5 no kids toys allowed to set outside. #6 no campers outside even on your own lot. #7 No clothes lines. And there are a bunch more.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Even on "Restrictive" Burn nights,,, a hot dog fork and a pack of hot dogs allows a BBQ fire!! Or,, if it is for religious reasons,, then is legal!!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
caveman, I thought California was tuff,, We have fires in the back yard often. Nothing like friends over,BBQ,wine and beers while we enjoy company around a fire,,even if it is in a washer drum...

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman sounds like your city is one giant HOA! ๐Ÿ˜ž
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wash tub may work at the park but, in the nearest big town to me (If you call 3800 people a big town) it would be against city ordnances to have something like that in your back yard. They recently passed new ordinances there and basically you can't have anything in your back yard. Not even kids toys.

Bombfixer
Explorer
Explorer
Academy Sports has fire pits on sale for 29.95. 22 inch pit w/legs, 4 hot dog forks come in the kit.

tgr2975
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Little Red Campfire for a trip to the Outer Banks last year. They didn't allow open fires.
We bought this recently to use at campgrounds which don't have a fire ring - http://www.homedepot.com/p/LANDMANN-Big-Sky-Steel-Fire-Pit-Ring-28312/204119689
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA
2008 Brookside 298 FWBHS (Sold)