cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pressure treated wood

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
A side from a few bucks extra why don't rv builders that still use wood framing why don't they use pressure treated wood and house wrap any where there is the possibility of water intrusion??
11 REPLIES 11

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Treated wood will react with any aluminum it comes in contact with and eat up the aluminum fast..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the water out, and it's a moot point. Roof maintenance and caulking go a long way to avoiding the need in the first place.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuggedaboutit. Ain't ever gonna happen.

It would be very difficult to build an RV with pressure treated wood if not impossible. It's use and installation methods is a specialty field in itself. It's use is much more expensive. It would be a total nightmare...

Any and all fasteners MUST be compatible with PT lumber and wood. This means either galvanized fasteners, stainless steel, polymer coated, and I think a couple of others. Aluminum cannot be in direct contact nor can non-coated steel be. The type and use of the correct compatible fasteners is dependent on the moisture content of PT wood and lumber. If the correct fasteners and other things (brackets, for example) aren't used, they'll corrode in no time.

Back in 2003, the chemical that was being used was chromated copper arsenate (CCA) and was changed to amine copper quat (ACQ) and copper azole (CA) and supposedly some other copper-based chemicals for toxicity reasons. CCA wasn't banned but it's use is now more for industrial and marine applications like pilings and below grade foundations. Copper is generally considered safe but it's the arsenic in CCA that is a concern for health. Here is what the EPA has to say about CCA EPA and pesticides.Around this part of the world, ACQ is what is available in lumber yards.

When working with PT wood, special procedures and precautions must be used. For example, wear a mask, collect all sawdust and send it in bags to the local dump, do not burn it and wash clothes separately after being in contact.

In building construction, the use of PT products, fasteners and anything else related to it is strictly controlled by various codes and standards. In the RV industry, codes and standards are almost non-existent and there are no governing bodies to monitor them and their use. As it is, they can't even get many ordinary straightforward things done right.

In RVs, moisture may not be from intrusion, but can be from moisture buildup inside in cold weather and inadequate ventilation. If wood, moisture and rot are a concern, then aluminum framing is an option, except there will still be a plywood (or OSB) sub-flooring and roof decking. Maybe marine grade plywood would be a good thing for them to use.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and I believe treated wood requires special material screws.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Better materials avail. All alum. for example. Ford for example got away from wood and went to steel and then got away from steel and went to alum. Some makes use plastic in their RVs.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess that RV's aren't supposed to have the "possibility of water intrusion".

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Modern PT wood chemicals are highly corrosive to aluminum (and some other metals, but particularly aluminum), which is used a good bit in RV construction. It would not be nice to have your outside siding dissolve away in a couple of years.

I don't know that house wrap would help things much; the usual route for water intrusion is not through the side of the wall, but through openings and seams where the hose wrap wouldn't seal. It might help to keep any moisture that got in within the shell of the RV, which would be a detriment.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
ab257 wrote:
PT wood is a lot heavier too.

I retired in 1999 so new information is not what I have but it was always wet when I cut it.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
PT wood is a lot heavier too.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
So they can sell more RVs... I agree for so little more all kinds of problems could be decreased. Arsenic has not been in PT for 10 years... you can burn the new stuff but the ash is a problem so not recommended.
Pine is what's usually pressure treated so it's heavier and stronger than the fir/spruce often used.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
Toxic fumes as the treatment dries and evaporates. Same reason you shouldn't burn your old fence in your fireplace.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC