cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane vs AC on Dometic Refrigerator

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
If I run my Dometic fridge on propane it seems to get colder quicker than if I set it to "AUTO" and let it switch between AC and propane depending on whether AC is available.

Is this usual?

Apologies if this has been discussed before; I searched a lot and didn't find this.

Rich
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10
8 REPLIES 8

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
cavie wrote:
YES, will run cheaper (If you paying for electric)and get colder than AC. Move the thermister down on the fins when on Gas.

Why do you want OP to move thermistor?
Thermostat controls heat cycles regardless of heat source based on feedback from thermistor.

On fridge WITH temp settings on upper panel.thermostat is calibrated for temp sensing from thermistor on a specific FIN position

On fridges with "AUTO TEMP CONTROL" (NO temp set points)
Moving it DOWN means warmer
Moving it UP means Cooler
Overall temp effect is 4-6*F

Propane & electric transfer basically same temp to boiler section
Propane does 'start' the process sooner due to hot flame

My fridge fan cycles on a little bit more than neccessary because of it's location.It was explained to me that part of the problem was where the "thermistor", as you call it, is located. It can be moved just a little either way to prevent too much cycling.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Electric usage is more expensive. Propane is not free, but cheaper. I am paying $0.175/kwh for electricity. Was costing me over $50/month for electric.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
cavie wrote:
YES, will run cheaper (If you paying for electric)and get colder than AC. Move the thermister down on the fins when on Gas.

[COLOR=]Why do you want OP to move thermistor?

On fridge WITH temp settings on upper panel.thermostat is calibrated for temp sensing from thermistor on a specific FIN position

When I run my fridge on gas it runs colder than when on Electric. On gas I don't need all that cold. I slide the thermister down a little to keep the same temp as electric. I have done the math and it's cheaper to run on gas. I'm seasonal for 4 months and pay for electric. I don't have temp settings. Moving the thermister up and down the fin is the temp sencer. At least that is what the arrow in the side wall says.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
cavie wrote:

Why do you want OP to move thermistor?
Thermostat controls heat cycles regardless of heat source based on feedback from thermistor.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I pretty much never switch off propane.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Oddly enough, the fridge cools because of a heating process. Apparently propane provides more heat than the electric heating element.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mine does to .don,t seem to hurt it.