cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulled to the left when being passed by Big Rigs

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm towing 10,000 bumper pull Toy Hauler. I'm under my Gross weight in both the truck and Toy Hauler.. My TW is 1440 pounds including the hitch.

My trailer sits level when being towed. But everytime I'm passed by a big rig or a big box truck I get sucked over.

Is there anything I can do to deal with this or is it just then nature of the beast!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
41 REPLIES 41

dedmiston
ProjectMon wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
How and why on Earth did this thread from last August come back alive?

Just went and looked at the dates, and it appears I did it. The answer is simple. The thread popped up under the newest threads page for me. It also appears as if a lot of people like the topic, so I am glad I dug it up (albeit mistakenly) from the dead. ๐Ÿ™‚

It happens. ๐Ÿ™‚

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ProjectMon
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

Just went and looked at the dates, and it appears I did it. The answer is simple. The thread popped up under the newest threads page for me. It also appears as if a lot of people like the topic, so I am glad I dug it up (albeit mistakenly) from the dead. ๐Ÿ™‚
2021 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-Light 283BHSL
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
ProPride 3P

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Ray,IN wrote:
I was taught this back about 1960. When a large vehicle is about to pass, maintain a steady speed while gently and manually applying the trailer brakes. This pulls your rig into a straight line and greatly reduces trailer sway.

Towed TTs for many years. Simple anti sway bar helped a lot (Hensley was not for me) - AND -
I also always did the above....and/or a moment of acceleration to pull your rig into a straight line.

Keep track (reg glances in the mirror) to see what is approaching in the adjoining lane to accomplish the above....timing is everything - but not difficult.

:W

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

If you don't want that to happen, you should close every thread after X number of days.

Then watch the membership drift away.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ray,IN wrote:
You may waste your money on air tabs if you wish; a large trucking company did wind tunnel testing and proved they are not worth the investment.

My air tabs work well.

1. much less noise inside the class C
2. lowered impact of trucks in oncoming traffic
3. much improved mileage when there is a tail wind.

They don't save fuel except in the tail wind situation.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
move to the right a bit more as they pass or get a 5th wheel for your next unit, the second option is what I did, stil get a little pull but it is way diffeent of a feeling and wind gusting is a lot better also.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was taught this back about 1960. When a large vehicle is about to pass, maintain a steady speed while gently and manually applying the trailer brakes. This pulls your rig into a straight line and greatly reduces trailer sway.
This also works to reduce/eliminate trailer sway from other sources.

You may waste your money on air tabs if you wish; a large trucking company did wind tunnel testing and proved they are not worth the investment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you โ€” ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
1L243 wrote:
Is there anything I can do to deal with this or is it just then nature of the beast!

Space is your friend. Just a slight increase in the distance between you and the truck makes a huge difference in the effect the bow wave has on you.

Slowly move over to the extreme right edge of your lane and you will see a very noticeable reduction in the impact on your rig.

I didn't read all 4 pages but this is the best fix!!

It is truly amazing if you move 1 foot to the right what an impact it will have.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
willald wrote:

4. Speed up some, so speed difference isn't as much

2 points on the speed up;
First, the faster you are going the less likely you are to maintain control when fhit sits hhe tan.
Second, if you are going close to the speed of the truck it will push less, but what push you get will last longer.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of good suggestions so far, all of which will help. However, as already said, you'll never do away with this completely. Is the nature of the beast when towing a large trailer with long, flat sides.

I would put the things you can do to help this, in this order. First ones being the most effective (and most expensive):

1. Get a Hensley or Propride hitch
2. Install air tabs on back of the trailer.
3. Leave as much space as you can between you and the big trucks
4. Speed up some, so speed difference isn't as much
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
1L243 wrote:

Space is your friend. Just a slight increase in the distance between you and the truck makes a huge difference in the effect the bow wave has on you.

Slowly move over to the extreme right edge of your lane and you will see a very noticeable reduction in the impact on your rig.

ProjectMon
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 you have a very capable tow vehicle, so likely your question really revolves around comfort. I have a newer RAM 1500 with the coil rear springs, and its backside is a bit more squishy than I like. So I did most of the intelligent things mentioned in this thread, including working my way through three different anti-sway weight distribution hitches. I ended up with a Propride hitch, and it reduced the overall sideways movement to something I was comfortable with.
2021 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-Light 283BHSL
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
ProPride 3P

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So we have people who believe highways have 9โ€™ wide lanes?
Iโ€™ve designed, built, paved, widened and just generally worked on a lot of divided highways and 2 lanes in many states and aside from the occasional marked, narrow, stretches including construction zones never seen a standard lane less than 12โ€™ wide. Even most freeway narrow const zones are still 11โ€™ min.
So for those that arenโ€™t spatially adept, the roads are wider than you think.

Although I feel I still would know this even if I werenโ€™t an engineer and road builder.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold