cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about campsite policies

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed around Texas that the majority of the public campgrounds (especially State Parks) have a policy of no alcohol. The signage varies from the strict "No alcoholic beverages of any kind permitted", to the less strict "public display or consumption prohibited".

Now, my wife and I are at the age where we have grown kids (and grandkids), and have no desire to have loud "parties" while we camp. However, we both do enjoy having an adult beverage while sitting around the campfire.

I am not trying to start a debate about drinking. I am just looking for advice from people that do like to have a responsible adult beverage while camping.

Do you feel like the signs are posted to give authorities the ability to control any loud and crazy campers that are disturbing other campers? Or do you feel like they are really trying to prohibit any and all consumption, even though it might be done responsibly?
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS
64 REPLIES 64

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
These rules are really meant to enforce issues with "problem" campers when that type of situation arises typically. Enjoy your beverages quietly and no worries!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My policy is "Don't ask, don't tell". Be discreet and there shouldn't be any problems. I've seen the signs but have never had anyone tell me that I can't drink a beer at my campsite. I usually use a bottle koozy to lessen the chances of any undue consideration.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, the former.

Though, I think it depends on the ranger that you come across. A few are looking for a reason to assert their authority. Most others are down to earth- don't cause me issues, and I won't cause you any.

Most of the stories of folks that I knew who got into trouble with Ricky Ranger were causing other hassles (radio playing/getting noisy/running an electric cord across the street to run a fan to dry out a wet tent). Of the few occurrences where alcohol was noticed, the ranger simply had them lock it up in the cars.

In no alcohol places, if I'm going to enjoy a drink or two- it will not be out of the bottle or can. It'll be poured into a nondescript cup (even if it's obvious in a Red Solo cup). My wine drinking friends would do the same- no fancy wine glasses.

I've also camped near the dumpster and come Sunday morning- you sure could tell that there had been drinking going on based on the clinking of bottles as bags were thrown in.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

mckind
Explorer
Explorer
We have never had an issue. Don't bother the other campers and be discreet, don't have liquor bottles out in the open e.g.