cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Acme" Tow Dolly with hydraulic disc brakes

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
With the exception that "Acme Tow Dolly" sounds like something from a Bugs Bunny cartoon, this sounds and looks like a good deal. Granted, $1700 isn't the cheapest new dolly out there but it seems to be a decent price compared to the others I'm seeing out there with hydraulic disc brakes (surge). It's received many good reaviews. Free shipping too. I'd love to hear others' opinions.

https://cartowdolly.com/product/hydraulic-disc-brake-car-dolly/
7 REPLIES 7

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
SteveWoz wrote:
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
We had the ACME with hydraulic brakes behind our motor home. We pulled it several thousand miles with a Toyota Highlander on it. Never had a problem with it. Some will reply that because it uses inverted steering they would never have one but once you use it and see it does work as advertised you will be happy.

We sold ours to a friend on this forum when we went back to a fiver.

Would you please elaborate on the inverted steering comment? I'm not familiar with that term. I did read that there is something different in the Acme's steering and that as a result, the vehicle being towed needs to have a steering column that can remain unlocked. I'm going to be towing a 2010 Nissan Altima.

I sent you a pm.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
We had the ACME with hydraulic brakes behind our motor home. We pulled it several thousand miles with a Toyota Highlander on it. Never had a problem with it. Some will reply that because it uses inverted steering they would never have one but once you use it and see it does work as advertised you will be happy.

Would you please elaborate on the inverted steering comment? I'm not familiar with that term. I did read that there is something different in the Acme's steering and that as a result, the vehicle being towed needs to have a steering column that can remain unlocked. I'm going to be towing a 2010 Nissan Altima.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking into dollies a while back. What I mainly don't like about the ACME is it has removable ramps. Perhaps not a huge deal, but I like the simplicity of a tilt bed better, where you don't have to crawl under the car to get/install the ramps.

Other than that, I love the simplicity and all welded design.

I have never used one though. Only dolly I've used is a U-haul so my thoughts are those of research, not usage.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I know, some people swear by the ACME tow dolly, some people swear AT them.
I am in the latter camp.
I would by the American Tow Dolly because I like the turn-table steering, and the price is comparable to the ACME, plus American Dolly delivers right to your door.
Actually, I would much rather have the DEMCO Kar Kaddy II. IMO, it is simply the best. The price is why I don't have one.
But then, I have another Jeep now, so I don't need to tow the PT Cruiser.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
Whammon1 wrote:
I like my acme just fine. Easy to store at home and On the road. No complaints here.

Good to know. Thanks for replying. Do you have the model with surge brakes by any chance?

Whammon1
Explorer
Explorer
I like my acme just fine. Easy to store at home and On the road. No complaints here.