cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ready to purchase 2024 chevy Equinox Primer for Flat towing

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Want to clear up any issues before I purchase car. I've read that can only be FWD or flat towing and a 1.5 engine. Also the front can not have vents. Looking at a Blue OX Base Plate Should I be aware of any other issues.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DancinCampers wrote:
I concur, before you buy, make sure you read the owners manual. We tow a 2020 Equinox, Premier 2.0 AWD. I think the AWD was the only model to flat tow. We have Blue Ox baseplate and towbar. We required the diode lighting kit because we have LED lights. We have a diesel pusher and had the Air Force 1 braking system installed. Our Equinox has electric power steering and requires a robust charging line from the coach to keep the battery charged. Have not experienced the death wobble in 10K miles of towing.
Experience shows! Death wobble can be a very serious issue.

Keep in mind that that while technology is changing toads represent only a small percent of sales as represented by the decreasing number of cars that mfg support flat towing.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I concur, before you buy, make sure you read the owners manual. We tow a 2020 Equinox, Premier 2.0 AWD. I think the AWD was the only model to flat tow. We have Blue Ox baseplate and towbar. We required the diode lighting kit because we have LED lights. We have a diesel pusher and had the Air Force 1 braking system installed. Our Equinox has electric power steering and requires a robust charging line from the coach to keep the battery charged. Have not experienced the death wobble in 10K miles of towing.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
What does the owners manual say about flat towing? Effect on car warranty? Have you considered all of the setup costs like lights, charge line, aux brake, base plate, tow bar and MH setup? Have you researched other potential problems like but not limited to EPS per Thunderjet post?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Get an owner's manual and very carefully read the directions on how to tow four down. You will get lots of advice from salesmen, other owners, etc, but the owner's manual is the where the facts are located.
2014 American Eagle

1Thunderjet2
Explorer
Explorer
check power steering, hydraulic is great -- electric may need a bungie cord to center balance wheel. I add a on/off switch instead of pulling a fuse.
good luck
TJ