cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear tire pressure

bigskygrizzlybe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Class C 24 foot.Do I need to run full tire pressure in rear tires when flat towing my Jeep Liberty? Only weight of the towbar on the hitch.
Thanks
Gulf Stream Class C
2004 Jeep Liberty Dinghy
Snowbirds 2014
4 REPLIES 4

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to run my tire pressure on the high side. At 8 miles per gallon every little bit helps.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bigsky,
As has been stated, the "true" way of knowing what kind of EXACT tire pressure you need to run in both the rear AND THE FRONT is to take the time and, run down to your local scales, could be a van and moving storage place, could be at a recycle place or, truck scales etc. But, get both the front and rear weights of the coach.

Then, come home and, look up your make and model of tires and, find that brands tire inflation chart on the net. Find your exact size and model of tire (there are sometimes many versions of the same size tires on certain brands site) and, see what they tell you to inflate your tires at.

That is the only true way of doing it. The plate that comes in the coach is a generic plate that covers only the basics. It really does not take into account what kind of weight you're running, on either axle. There's no sense in running over pressure if your tire chart tells you to run something under what's labeled on that plate/I.D. in your coach.

On the other hand, your tire chart for your particular tires may tell you to run quite a bit higher than what's stated on the plate in your coach. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
There is probably a sticker/plate on the driver's door frame that gives you the recommended tire pressures.

Trackrig has it right though. Weighing it is the best way to set the tire pressures.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're right, the tow bar doesn't have any bearing on it. The only way you can know what air pressure to run is to weigh the MH and set it accordingly.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.