cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Airborne Sidewinder and Skid Plate Lubrication

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me if I need to grease the skid plate on my hitch while using the Reese Sidewinder pin box? I know not to use a lube plate but even though the Pin won't be rotating, it will still slide in to position or out of position when hitching up and unhitching so common sense says I need to. If that's the case, can I use the Spray White Lithium Grease or should I use a traditional grease like what everyone used before the lube plates became popular? The dealer that's installing it told me to contact Reese for the correct procedure so I emailed them. They responded with instructions to call their towing tech support. When I called, I listened to a recorded message telling me to contact the dealer who installed the pin box. Uggh!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
4 REPLIES 4

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Rob,

You said you cannot use one of those plastic plates/disks? There is another option you could try/use. As you mentioned, you could use reg grease or some type of spay lube or non dust attracting graphite. There is a company who markets are primarily semi drivers, but has gain a ton of users who are not semi drivers. Anyways it's called MotorKote. They have 2 products that will probly work for you. 1st is MotorKote Hyper Lubricant which is a friction reducer inside engines, BUT also HAS hundreds of other uses. 2nd is MotorKote 5th wheel grease. As name implies, it's for 5th wheels along w/ anything else that takes grease. FWIW, give them a call and explain what you want to achieve and for their recommendation. They are located in OH.

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll give them a call. I see they have a website too. When I get a chance later today, I'll check it out!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Rob,

You said you cannot use one of those plastic plates/disks? There is another option you could try/use. As you mentioned, you could use reg grease or some type of spay lube or non dust attracting graphite. There is a company who markets are primarily semi drivers, but has gain a ton of users who are not semi drivers. Anyways it's called MotorKote. They have 2 products that will probly work for you. 1st is MotorKote Hyper Lubricant which is a friction reducer inside engines, BUT also HAS hundreds of other uses. 2nd is MotorKote 5th wheel grease. As name implies, it's for 5th wheels along w/ anything else that takes grease. FWIW, give them a call and explain what you want to achieve and for their recommendation. They are located in OH.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link. I called on Wednesday.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
etrailer lube link.
As with any hitch lube requirements always go to the hitch makers recommendations.

Keep calling or emailing. Most mfg shut down on weekends anywayz.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides