cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reflections on a Trip South

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having my coffee at Mather point in freezing weather waiting for the sunrise and the Japanese tourists looking at me like they would have given any amount of Yen for that cup.

Taking a walk at night with my High School Girlfriend after 45 years of separation. We were to be married until Fate and Vietnam intervened. And meeting her daughter, married with teenaged sons, but who reminded me so much of her Mother when she was 17.

Watching the Bull Elk defend and protect his females and offspring at Geyser basin along Yellowstone Lake.

Watching the Sunset at Picacho Peak state park. Where were The Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote? They were the only missing element.

Watching the High school homecoming parade get going at Monument valley. All of those beautiful Navajo kids, all SO American and Yet still SO Navajo.

Being given the honor of looking at the photo album of a man who had been coming to the Baja for 40 years with his family and now again in retirement. A true gentleman and great Dune Buggy driver.

Meeting the young man from Italy at Cocos corner in the Baja who had ridden his BMW 1200 motorcycle from Valparaiso, Chileโ€ฆAlone. Never robbed, never felt threatened. He loved Columbia. We fed him Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner listened to his stories and regaled him with a few of our own.

Taking naps under my trailer in the midday AZ heat. Better than aircon.

Fish Tacos

Finding โ€œTotal Wine and Moreโ€. After so long living in SE ASIA we knew nothing of this store. I felt like a kid in a toy store. Completely dumbfounded by the selection and said to myself. โ€œAh Civilizationโ€ Bought Greek Wine and a very good Cabernet.

Reading Philip Caputoโ€™s book A Rumor of War

Eating the Habanero Pickles and Cherry Pie from the historic farmhouse grocery at Capitlol Reef National Park and picking apples and pears from the orchards in the campsite.

Grand Teton National Parkโ€ฆAll of it.

The National Forest Campground just west of Yellowstone, Beaver Creek and Quake lake where the eagles perched in the early morning sun on spires of dead trees in the lake waiting to spot breakfast.

Reminding myself that I was lucky to be born in one of the most privileged countries on the planet which allows me to do this in retirement. To those of you who love to complain about our government and itโ€™s policies you should spend about 5 years living under a despotic government in some tropical backwater where opportunity is only a fleeting idea spelledโ€ฆ A M E R I C A.
13 REPLIES 13

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Great post, Dodger! Thank you!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your post brought back very similar memories. It got kind of emotional toward the end of your post as I thought about Kate Smith singing "God Bless America" when I was a kid. It is easier to focus on the current problems than reflect on the good things. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year of traveling.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Good thread! I'm a news fanatic. This can be a depressing habit, especially this past month or so with all the negative news going on, but there's nothing like getting out and seeing this beautiful country we have to lighten that worried mind. More people ought to thankful for the freedoms we enjoy. While everything isn't perfect here in America it's one heck of a lot better than almost all other countries in this world.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Dodger, what a great post!!! I hope you don't mind, but I copied and sent it to a man I thought I called friend. A few nights ago I told him off after repeated notes to me running America down. I sent it to him with the hope that reading your post would help him understand what a wonderful country we have. Thanks for a very well written and true post. Thanks to you and all the others for your service that make my wandering possible.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Reminding myself that I was lucky to be born in one of the most privileged countries on the planet which allows me to do this in retirement. To those of you who love to complain about our government and itโ€™s policies you should spend about 5 years living under a despotic government in some tropical backwater where opportunity is only a fleeting idea spelledโ€ฆ A M E R I C A.

Wonderful sentiment, I fail to understand why people complain about our government the government that protects us, provides roads for our beasts to navigate and responds when we are in harms way. We live our life styles do to our government nothing else.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a refreshing report. It directed me to my memory lane (wish I had the gift of total recall). I'm envious. Thank you
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
First thing in the morning, an attitude of Gratitude! Makes for a wonderful day.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I read both may years ago.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
If you liked A Rumor of War, you will love "Dispatches" by Michael Herr.

http://www.amazon.com/Dispatches-Michael-Herr/dp/0679735259/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=144884954...
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
x4!!!!
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
:C :C :C

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

X2 :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
If there was a like button for this.....I would use it!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !