cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renogy self heating LiFeO4 battery

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see Renogy has a self heating lithium battery available. The BMS turns on pre heating prior to charging below minimum battery temperarture.

Link

The discharging low temperature limit of -20C / -4F may be an issue in my current camper project when the camper is sitting frozen and you want to start up an electric reliant heating system to put the camper back in service.
5 REPLIES 5

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
noteven,

Or you could simply use SiO2 batteries that are not fussy. They can be discharged farther down than Li and can be charged at -40.

They are cheaper than Li unless you are "rolling your own Li".

Ya I see Azimuth has them back in stock. They seem like a more dummy proof solution to me.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
noteven,

Or you could simply use SiO2 batteries that are not fussy. They can be discharged farther down than Li and can be charged at -40.

They are cheaper than Li unless you are "rolling your own Li".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
FWC wrote:
The discharge low temperature limit is typically not a hard BMS limit (like the low temperature charge limit) and there is nothing that will physically damage the cells if you discharge below -20C. It is just that the cell manufacturers don't test below -20C because few customers care about that. Some do and actually show pretty good performance down to about -45C. They will loose capacity, but not nearly as much a lead acid batteries.

Thanks FWC that's good info

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
The discharge low temperature limit is typically not a hard BMS limit (like the low temperature charge limit) and there is nothing that will physically damage the cells if you discharge below -20C. It is just that the cell manufacturers don't test below -20C because few customers care about that. Some do and actually show pretty good performance down to about -45C. They will loose capacity, but not nearly as much a lead acid batteries.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A useful feature!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad