cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Thermostat

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Coleman digital thermostat now and I hate it. The A/C cycles on and off to often for my taste. The roof A/C unit is close to bedroom and when it kicks on, I have to increase the TV volume. Then when it goes off again, I have to lower it. I spend the evening with my finger on the volume control. I'd like to replace the thermostat with a digital one that allowed the On/Off time to be adjusted. Unlike the old analog thermostats, there's no "anticipater" adjustment on this one. What's a good option?
10 REPLIES 10

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
zztinker wrote:
Just go to home depot and take your pick.

The OP's Coleman thermostat is digital rather than bi-metal so I'd be surprised if he saw much better control over hysteresis with a home version thermostat from Home Depot. Certainly it would make little difference anyway to overall A/C noise he hears as the compressor motor itself doesn't make much noise compared to the fan motor which he says he has turned on all the time rather than allowing it to cycle as the compressor motor cycles. The OP may have decided he "hates" his Coleman thermostat but reality is it has little to do with his issue.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

zztinker
Explorer
Explorer
Just go to home depot and take your pick.
2010 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 31.5RLDS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Ford 350 PSD SRW, long Bed, Champion 2000i inverter Generator and a Champion 3500/4000 Gen.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Coleman Mach 8330-3362
I do run the fan all the time

Earlier you said - "The A/C cycles on and off to often for my taste. The roof A/C unit is close to bedroom and when it kicks on, I have to increase the TV volume. Then when it goes off again, I have to lower it. I spend the evening with my finger on the volume control."

Since the vast majority of A/C noise is caused by the fan and not the compressor these would seem to be contradictory statements because if the fan is on all the time the noise would be fairly consistent and there should be no need to constantly change the television volume. No? :h

What I hear is the compressor and fan in the roof unit.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I was having the same issue in the evenings. I set the fan mode ON and speed LOW. I made a cloth and elastic cover for the thermostat but the temperature swings were too much.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Coleman Mach 8330-3362

Earlier you said - "The A/C cycles on and off to often for my taste. The roof A/C unit is close to bedroom and when it kicks on, I have to increase the TV volume. Then when it goes off again, I have to lower it. I spend the evening with my finger on the volume control."

Since the vast majority of A/C noise is caused by the fan and not the compressor these would seem to be contradictory statements because if the fan is on all the time the noise would be fairly consistent and there should be no need to constantly change the television volume. No? :h

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Larry-D wrote:
Is the cold air blowing on the thermostat? If so that could cause it to cycle more frequently, Some Rpods have this issue. You might try to tape a sheet of paper so that it hangs down over the thermostat to deflect any direct air-flow and see if that helps.

I thought about one of those clear plastic thermostat covers that they use to keep peoples fingers off of it. My thinking is that it would insuate it a little and keep the temp swings down some but it would stick out to far.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
So it seems to me that what you're complaining about is the noise the A/C makes yet you're blaming the thermostat. :R Regardless of what thermo you're using the A/C is going to be noisy when the fan is running so if your actual complaint is you have to continuously adjust the TV volume I'd ask why you wouldn't just set the A/C fan so it runs all the time. :h Nonetheless, if you're still convinced replacing your Coleman thermo will solve your problem you'd first want to identify just which model you have as there are at least 2 dozen different Coleman branded thermos currently available and you'd obviously want something that would be compatible with the system you have.

Coleman Mach 8330-3362

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
Is the cold air blowing on the thermostat? If so that could cause it to cycle more frequently, Some Rpods have this issue. You might try to tape a sheet of paper so that it hangs down over the thermostat to deflect any direct air-flow and see if that helps.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
No matter what thermostat you get, the noise of the AC unit will drive you nuts trying to listen to the TV.
You are in a little better shape then me. I not only have to turn the volume up and down because of the noise, but turn the "mute" on and off with the commercials.
This year snow birding, I have read many more books then previous years and have eliminated the above problems.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
So it seems to me that what you're complaining about is the noise the A/C makes yet you're blaming the thermostat. :R Regardless of what thermo you're using the A/C is going to be noisy when the fan is running so if your actual complaint is you have to continuously adjust the TV volume I'd ask why you wouldn't just set the A/C fan so it runs all the time. :h Nonetheless, if you're still convinced replacing your Coleman thermo will solve your problem you'd first want to identify just which model you have as there are at least 2 dozen different Coleman branded thermos currently available and you'd obviously want something that would be compatible with the system you have.