cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential fridge durability?

tbr2015
Explorer
Explorer
Now that residential fridges have been in trailers a few years, how are they standing up to the riggers of road travel since they are not built to be bouncing around all the time like traditional RV fridges. Thinking about doing the conversion to one but want to make sure it will stand up. I also assume no manufacturer will warranty such a purchase.
11 REPLIES 11

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:R we have a samsung in the sticks and bricks. Never again. first time it shot ***** was 3 months out of warranty.

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
My Whirlpool didnโ€™t last a year and a half. I have a rear kitchen and all the bouncing killed it. The repair tech said this was a bad place to put one in a camper for all the bouncing. I am replacing with an RV style refrigerator. Last one I had gave me great service for over 17 years.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
6 years full timing with our Whirlpool and it's still working fine. I monitor fridge/freezer temps and they are always in the suggested range, unlike my old Dometic.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Samsung 3 years and 153,550 mile southern tip of Baja Mexico to the Artic Circle and 49 states currently roaming around Canada.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Samsung and 11 months, no issues, the converter keeps it running just fine on the road, but I do have to turn the ice maker off when traveling, otherwise water splashes in the freezer and then freezes in a less than desirable shape than an ice cube.

Also, run it all the time when traveling, and now I am no longer one of those controversial RVers traveling with the Refr running on propane. .which I use to do all the time

I'll throw my two cents in here even though I don't have a Samsung in my RV. But I do have one at home that has failed under warranty. Three and a half years old and it is un-repairable. Samsung also has several class action lawsuits going right now for refrigerator failures. I would advise any one considering a Samsung fridge, to run the other way.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
On the flip side RV absorption refers are not designed for longevity even if the RV never moves.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Full time 4 years with a KitchenAid side by side, ZERO issues.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Three years and 6000 miles and my beer is still cold. ๐Ÿ™‚
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Samsung and 11 months, no issues, the converter keeps it running just fine on the road, but I do have to turn the ice maker off when traveling, otherwise water splashes in the freezer and then freezes in a less than desirable shape than an ice cube.

Also, run it all the time when traveling, and now I am no longer one of those controversial RVers traveling with the Refr running on propane. .which I use to do all the time

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
had a problem with the ice maker but I'm pretty sure that was an incomplete winterization rather than road issues.

in 2016 we were on a narrow 2-lane country road in southern Alabama. as we rounded a right-hand curve at about 10-15 MPH I saw that the right half of the right lane was gone...not a pot hole...the pavement was gone. 20' long, 4' wide and 8-10" deep. no way to stop in time. we rocked twice and I thought the MH was gonna tip. the resi fridge was yanked from it's brackets and fell forward landing on the kitchen counter. thankfully the counter wasn't damaged, the fridge/freezer doors stayed closed and were not damaged. point in that afterwards and for the rest of the trip the fridge operated as it should. had to have it rebolted to the frame but otherwise no problems, if it can take that kind of shock I have no worries about it running on the smooth-as-glass American roads.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
8 years and 60,000 miles mine is fine
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks