Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof repair on travel trailer

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone.

My parents have an old travel trailer that requires some roof maintenance. I was looking into Dicor lap sealant and/or Eternabond tape, but I just found out that someone used silicone caulk (A LOT of it) all around the perimeter of the roof. I've read that silicone is a big no-no on roofs, as nothing will adhere to it. So, I'm assuming it should all be removed before resealing. This doesn't sound like fun at all....any suggestions on what to use/ how to proceed? Thanks!
2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21 DS
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L CTD, 4x4, quad cab
4 REPLIES 4

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any and all sillycone will need to be removed. I did it on my first camper and it IS NOT easy task to do. Nothing will stick to it.

Be careful with EternaBond... it does not stick to everything so be careful with it especially if it sticks to something and not to another as it is a real PIA to remove. I documented my nightmare HERE and the eventual time to reapir and do it correctly as noted IN THIS DISCUSSION.

be sure to research and know the correct materials to use for the given situation and existing materials.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
When you say "old" how old is it? Its possible the roof is dead, so be prepared for a lot more than a basic scrap and seal

MySuncoastRV
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone based sealants will burn EPDM rubber roofs. Assuming that you have a rubber roof. If you plan on keeping the trailer long term, I would remove the silicone which usually peels right off. Inspect the roof for visible cracking. If a large amount of cracking is present then your roof has met it's demise. You can prolong replacement by applying an elastomeric acrylic based sealant. Dicor makes this as well as others. This is really just a bandaid until you can do a complete replacement. I have done many of them and if you are at all handy you can to. Kits for a smaller trailer usually range between $500-$800.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
The silicone should peel right off without a problem. Then you may need to soften any previous applied lap sealant with a heat gun and scrape off with a plastic scraper as necessary. Then clean the substrate with acetone, denatured alcohol or whatever the roof manufacturer recommends. Now your ready to apply either lap sealant or Eternabond, your choice.