cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof seams starting to crack

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I know this subject has been out there many times but it's now my time to think about doing some resealing on my 5th wheel. It's 3 years old, does not have any evidence of leaking but I noticed that some of the caulking on the roof seams are cracking a little in places, especially where the front cap meets the roof. I guess the question is: am I short cutting this by resealing just the cracks that I see or should I make this a big job by resealing all of the joints? If I do it all, can I re-caulk over the original without digging it all out and starting over? If I have to do it all, should I use Dicor Lap sealant or Eternabond?
4 REPLIES 4

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
I second just using the Eternabond tape and basically forgetting about it. I did all the roof seams on my 3 yr. old TT this year to protect it. Our last TT sprung a leak that I missed on my inspections and it ruined the trailer so I didn't want to take chances this time. I'll still check it annually but at least the odds of a problem are a lot less now.
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond tape. Do it once and it is good forever.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what it was sealed with and how it is. If the old stuff is still pliable, i qould clean it with mineral spirets or simmiler and caulk over it with dicore, self leveling. If hard, and separating, remove and re due it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Annual roof maintenance is essential. Every six months is better. I use Hengโ€™s and Eterabond tape. โ€œEvidence of leakingโ€ is what you never want to see.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad