Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruined manual transmissions

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
PLEASE READ MY QUESTION!

Has anyone ruined their transmission while towing behind their motorhome? State the year and make.
Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)
16 REPLIES 16

Y-Guy
Fifty4F100 this is a discussion forum. Forums are not going to always track 100% on topic. Clearly the answers here are not what you are seeking since you only wanted to hear from a very small audience that has actually had a problem to your specific question. With that I'm going to close this thread down. You might want to better understand the term 'Karen' and how it doesn't apply in this case.

Closed.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fifty4F100 wrote:
Why do I keep getting all the “Karen’s” commenting when I specifically asked a reasonable question?! I had to get a moderator involved the last time I posted.

Just exactly what "Karen's" comments are putting your panties in a bunch?
Fact is most manual transmissions do not lube themselves as well when the input shaft is not spinning. It might be the height of input/output shaft, but most I have looked at those 2 have the same centerline. As a trumpism, I would say it has to do with the angle of gears, do they shove lube towards the bearings or away.
I think you will find few who tow when the manufacture says don't, because we trust some science

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
So I guess everyone should have said no and you would be happy. Instead you feel the need to toss insults.

When no transfer case is involved It all depends on the design of the transmission. If the output shaft is on the bottom the transmission will be okay because it is lubricated by being bathed in oil. If the output is on top and the input on the bottom you stand a chance of damage because the lower input shaft is not turning and providing oil on the output shaft which is being driven by the wheels.

In the end it does not matter if someone reported they personally had a manual transmission fail while towing because it depends on the design and therefore the make and model of the vehicle being towed.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
Why do I keep getting all the “Karen’s” commenting when I specifically asked a reasonable question?! I had to get a moderator involved the last time I posted.
Glenn in TN
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 1966 I towed a 4 speed 1959 El Camino from Mesa, Arizona to Washington, DC behind a 66 T Bird. Both ran for years until I got rid of them.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not RV, but back in '70s, when driving a tow truck there where some that we would only pull as far as the shoulder before we pulled axle or driveshaft.
I towed my old "3 on the tree" Ford for about 300 miles 4 down. After that it made noise in 2nd gear.
I know several guys that would tow their VW based dune buggies. 3 of them towed about 500 miles in convoy. 1 would not shift when got home.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Fifty4F100 wrote:
Horsedoc wrote:
Why don't you explain the reason for this question?

Information

I get this nagging feeling that you are planning on 4 down towing a vehicle not "approved" for this use and if nobody comes on here saying that they towed their 1958 hupmobile 4 down and it blew up, take that as making it OK to do so.

but then you won't say what/why you want this information anyway.

bumpy

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:

Information
Glenn in TN
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
in addition to "ruined", you should include reducing the life expectancy of the transmission which may not show up and be experienced until the vehicle goes thru several different owners.
bumpy

That’s too hard to qualify. There’s way too much that can contribute to transmission life. And if you’re buying used, the previous owners treatment/maintenance is involved.

I’m wanting to know if someone had a good running vehicle that wouldn’t run after a tow.
Glenn in TN
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
A friend of mine had a 2020 Ford Focus w/manual tranny. The Ford dealer showed them the manual that said it could be flat towed is properly set up. They had the dealer set it up and took off for AZ. They got about 100 miles and the tranny locked up. The dealer installed a new tranny, they took off and got about 100 miles and the tranny crapped out. The dealer bought the car back from them.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
rlw999 wrote:

I'd be much more worried about the engine in that case than the transmission -- if you hit highway speeds, the engine was almost certainly over-revving. I'd think that the transmission could handle that better than the engine.

How did you discover it? Noticed too much drag from the toad?
Exactly. I was still in town, felt the rig was dragging unusually. Never having gotten above about 30 I think was what saved it all.
It was interesting to me that the little CRV "dragged" a 23,000 pound DP!

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
I pulled my '06 CRV, manual tranny, about three miles while it was in first gear. Obviously, because I screwed up.
I figured I had fried the tranny. But in fact it never turned a hair and ran another 40k flawessly till I sold it.
Seems to me that a manual is more forgiving than an auto.

I'd be much more worried about the engine in that case than the transmission -- if you hit highway speeds, the engine was almost certainly over-revving. I'd think that the transmission could handle that better than the engine.

How did you discover it? Noticed too much drag from the toad?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
in addition to "ruined", you should include reducing the life expectancy of the transmission which may not show up and be experienced until the vehicle goes thru several different owners.
bumpy