cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV flipping a big thing in Reno?

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
November 25 2015 I was out in the garage working and a lady walks up the driveway (good thing I was done welding) and asks if I wanted to sell our TT. I said, no. She left.

Later that day, another lady knocks on the door (ignoring my no soliciting signs of course).. out of curiosity I opened the door and another lady asked if we wanted to sell our TT...

I asked my neighbor about it, he said it happens every now and then.. random people looking for someone desperate to get rid of a trailer..

So today, someone walks up to out TT and sticks a note on it.. "Hi would you like to sell your trailer as is please call tammy..." and an Oakland, CA phone number.

So I thought to myself.. "self.. you'd certainly sell for $20k.. everything is for sale if the price is right".

So I called (after blocking caller ID), told her $20k.. she didn't have a clue what trailer I was calling about (obvious at this point that she's driving around plastering these all over). I told her we have it just the way we want and it's pretty new 2013, $20,000 is it. She said 'my brother bought a 2013 for ten thousand just the other day'.. I said $20k and it's yours.. She said no, hung up.

For the life of me I can't see much money in flipping RV's in particular smaller/cheaper TT's. There's probably money flipping high end stuff. Perhaps they think that the 2 newer vehicles mean we're in debt up to our eyeballs and would be suckers for quick cash..

Seems rather weird to me..

Anyone else seeing similar?
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT
15 REPLIES 15

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
s1214 wrote:
I got a flurry of inquiries one year. Come to find out, they worked for a couple of the local RV dealers and somebody had paid them a visit looking to pay top dollar for a used camper with certain features. Think of them as headhunters for RVs.
That seems like the best theory at this point. The lady that knocked didn't look like she had any money of her own to be able to afford flipping RV's. But if someone is offering $50 for a lead that ends up in a buy I could see that attracting all manner of folks.

Perhaps next time I'll flat out ask who they're doing this for, then I can give those yahoo's an earful about teaching their agents to respect no soliciting signs.
2013 Econ 16RB TT

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
I got a flurry of inquiries one year. Come to find out, they worked for a couple of the local RV dealers and somebody had paid them a visit looking to pay top dollar for a used camper with certain features. Think of them as headhunters for RVs.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
braindead0 wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
braindead0 wrote:
Interesting ideas.. I noticed the same hand written note stuck to several other TT's in the area. Most of the TT's on CL in this area seem to be scammers, at least when I was actively looking the 'sellers' didn't know anything about the trailers they were supposedly selling so perhaps the local used RV dealers are desperate for inventory.

I just wish they'd pay attention to the no soliciting signs and stop annoying us.

I am not sure why you label them scammers? Your price was high for a used 2013 given what can be had almost anywhere. In fact your calling her with a price that you surely knew was too high just to waste the time was more of a scam than her offer to buy.

Consider that there is a trend for low income folks to live in RV's in trailer parks and RV parks in small cheap trailers. Some are sold to them others are rented. This then makes economic sense then to go around buying up used Rv's. Reselling them to dealers is problematic although many dealers are looking for trade ins and used stock. But the sale price would have to be very low.
I think you failed to read what I posted, and added in a completely different post to make a story that fit some notion you have?

My price was an on purpose trolling to see what I could learn about this person, IF I were actually interested in selling I would put a reasonable price on it.. however price has nothing to do with my statement that most of the CL ads for TT's in this area are scams.

Most CL RV sellers in this area are likely scammers because they don't know ANYTHING about the RV they are trying to sell. Seriously, they often don't even know the model number. When contacted you'll get a copy/paste of the same text in the ad, questions not answered.

I've had several tell me 'it's sold' when I asked the most basic questions (what model, gross weight, does it have an oven, etc). Had one tell me it was sold, but then when I contacted them again with another email address is was all of a sudden available.. until I asked questions and it's sold again. Even tried a third time, and it was again available.

The above is why I believe that most CL RV ads in this area are scammers.. nothing to do with price.

Well you are right about Craigs List. Many are scammers for sure. This is why with any CL ad if you are selling something you must insist that everything is done in person or by phone.

I was actually referring to your original post and the lady who came by in person and I felt that you were including her in the scammer category...this didnt feel right given she was actually there and not on CL.

I admit I didnt make that clear in m response. Sorry for the confusion.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:
braindead0 wrote:
Interesting ideas.. I noticed the same hand written note stuck to several other TT's in the area. Most of the TT's on CL in this area seem to be scammers, at least when I was actively looking the 'sellers' didn't know anything about the trailers they were supposedly selling so perhaps the local used RV dealers are desperate for inventory.

I just wish they'd pay attention to the no soliciting signs and stop annoying us.

I am not sure why you label them scammers? Your price was high for a used 2013 given what can be had almost anywhere. In fact your calling her with a price that you surely knew was too high just to waste the time was more of a scam than her offer to buy.

Consider that there is a trend for low income folks to live in RV's in trailer parks and RV parks in small cheap trailers. Some are sold to them others are rented. This then makes economic sense then to go around buying up used Rv's. Reselling them to dealers is problematic although many dealers are looking for trade ins and used stock. But the sale price would have to be very low.
I think you failed to read what I posted, and added in a completely different post to make a story that fit some notion you have?

My price was an on purpose trolling to see what I could learn about this person, IF I were actually interested in selling I would put a reasonable price on it.. however price has nothing to do with my statement that most of the CL ads for TT's in this area are scams.

Most CL RV sellers in this area are likely scammers because they don't know ANYTHING about the RV they are trying to sell. Seriously, they often don't even know the model number. When contacted you'll get a copy/paste of the same text in the ad, questions not answered.

I've had several tell me 'it's sold' when I asked the most basic questions (what model, gross weight, does it have an oven, etc). Had one tell me it was sold, but then when I contacted them again with another email address is was all of a sudden available.. until I asked questions and it's sold again. Even tried a third time, and it was again available.

The above is why I believe that most CL RV ads in this area are scammers.. nothing to do with price.
2013 Econ 16RB TT

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
braindead0 wrote:

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the trailer parks around here are pretty full with full time residents, have been for decades, if this was for temp housing I'm not sure where they'd park.
2013 Econ 16RB TT

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how many jobs Amazon tries to fill in the Reno/Sparks area every year but the new fulfillment center in my area had 1000 jobs to fill and was offering sign-on bonuses.

I noticed a near-by trailer park was full of RV's. Not typical for that park.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Econ 16RB TT

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cranksters would steal them, not buy them. These people could be commission buyers for local RV dealers. Everybody and his/her brother seems to be buying RVs right now, so a cheap local buy could turn big profits. Used car dealers have been doing this for years although they usually stick to CL ads etc for leads.
Puma 30RKSS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If they can find people who only use it once a year and want it out of their driveway its worth the time to stop and ask. and if they can get it cheap its well worth it.

The guy at work has a friend with a trailer stored in our back lot because he bought a summer home. out of curiosity I asked how much. he said the guy said its worth $13k. well a 2008 non slide 28ft TT isn't worth that much. maybe $8k at most. so yes some people think they have gold.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
They probably hope to find someone who has not done any homework on TT resale values, and thus will agree to sell for much less than what it's worth.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Amazon workers that need to buy temporary housing.
I'd bet you don't see any buyers in the Summer.

Could be that westend; or they're looking for mobile meth labs!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon workers that need to buy temporary housing.
I'd bet you don't see any buyers in the Summer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I guess they're trolling for deals of desperation. The first two said they had cash in the car....

What struck me as odd is they must be really picky, there are a lot of RV's and TT's in the area with for sale signs on them. Most have been there for months (one case 4+ years) and none have have sold yet.. Might just be the sellers think they're gold plated, which would explain why they sit there unsold.
2013 Econ 16RB TT