Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fridge Auto Acting Funny

TheWanderingRV
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys!

My fridge works on gas or electric. We're plugged into electric - and the fridge has been working fine. However, randomly the fridge started "attempting" to use gas instead of electric.

It still has the green "ON" light, and it's still working off electric. However, it randomly lights the " GAS check if flashing" light. When it does, it makes a noise as if it's trying to light the gas, but it doesn't light then shuts off. It repeats this process every few minutes.

When I turn it to gas, it lights and works just fine.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

On a side note, the oven gas isn't working. The stovetop does but no gas comes out in the oven. This just quit on us about a month ago. Still haven't fixed it. Not sure if it's related?

Thanks a ton in advance, everyone!
6 REPLIES 6

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
You might also check your ground wires. A loose or corroded ground can cause all kinds of bizarre happenings.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fridge AC requirements........
108V - 132V
AC has to be 'lost' for controls to swap to GAS Operation

Fridge DC requirements........
9.5V - 15.4V
Below 9.5V fridge will 'stop' operating

When AC is lost and controls swap to GAS...'check' light comes on when gas fails to light/prove
When 'check' light comes on.....GAS locks out and can not be used/check light won't clear until fridge is turned OFF then back ON

Fridge on AC ...check light flickers/gas tries but stays on AC
That is a circuit board issue.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the voltage drops too low the fridge will switch to gas.

Also: I have found Many RVers have a few screws loose.. No, not those, the ones in the power distribution box.. One of mine took over 2 full turns before I even felt resistance and another FULL TURN to be tight, with the screws this loose teh wires rattle around in the clip and make and break.

There are several other connections that can be flakey as well. Some I've found

Outlets.. the "Qick boxes" are basicall junk, pull much over 10 amps they melt.

and in power line order

THe park outlet (house outlet) Screw loose, bad connection, bad breaker, other issues
The plug, screws loose unless welded connection, bad weld.
The shore cord outlet (if any) this is for detachable cords. had one fall off in my hand once, all six of the internal screws were loose. Let me tell you the owner of that RV was **NOT** a happy camper.. Would loved to have been there when he returned to his dealer.. We got him working.

The INLET (mine, one screw

The Transfer Switch (Only applies to rigs that have 'em, this one is rare though)

And a few Junction boxes.

And last, this is very very very very rare.. I had a wire go bad.. Yup, a couple of feet from the end of the wire (This was a DC lead) was a "bulge" I cut it open and it's all corrosion, no connection, cut back both ways to good wire, Solidered and sealed, all good since.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TheWanderingRV
Explorer
Explorer
The power is through the house, so it's not as strong as it probably should be.

Thanks for the help, guys! I'll check out the stuff on the oven too while I'm at it.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
How good is your power? If power is interrupted and you have the fridge set on "auto" it will try to light on gas. Then when the power comes back on, it will return to electric. If the power is in the "iffy" range to begin with, I would switch to gas. We use a power management system and on occasion if we have bad power, I put everything on gas that I can so as not to damage sensitive electronics with power variances.

Just a thought.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oven and fridge issues are NOT related. Independent problems.

Oven.....gas control or thermocouple

Fridge.....circuit board
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31