Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Hot Skin. Mystery solved!

sgtsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Turns out there were two wires crossed in my garage's fuse box. I've owned this old house for 18 months and the garage is also quite old. I am not an electrician, but my contractor buddy said there were two sets of wires in the fuse box that should have been black to white and black to white. Instead I had black to white and white to black. The 2nd set was the problem. As soon as my buddy switched the second set to black to white, everything was fine. This problem never affected the lights and other interior garage outlets or anything else I plugged into them. However, once i added an exterior outlet for the trailer, the problem surfaced. I still am going to have the fuse box replaced with an updated electrical panel and the outlet for the trailer switched to a proper GFI outlet. I am just so thankful my wife is doing much better and the issue wasn't with the trailer. She initially was refusing to ever use the trailer again, but now is warming (no pun intended) up to the idea of camping again.
8 REPLIES 8

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like reverse polarity and that recommended 3-light tester would have immediately shown the issue.
Good to hear the issue has been fixed.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back before the days of 3 prong outlets, it was common knowledge that if you got a tingle when you touched an electrical appliance, you turned the plug over and plugged it back in.

What you experienced is called "reverse polarity."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for letting us know. I was wondering if you ever found the problem.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a device called a 3-light outlet tester
ideally you see green, green, dark
You'd have seen dark, green red
or Green, dark, red
(The label tells you what the problem is based on the pattern)

A handy tool and only a few dollars.

I even have one I made for 12 volt sockets (Back in the 70s many were bass ackwards) You plug in and see Green, Red or Yello
Green: Good
Red: Backwards
Yellow: Socket is AC
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Suggest installing a dedicated min 30 amp 30-TT receptacle and circuit.
Doesn't have to GFCI. 15/20 receptacle has to be.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
sgtsteve wrote:
I still am going to have the fuse box replaced with an updated electrical panel and the outlet for the trailer switched to a proper GFI outlet.
Sounds like a good time to get yourself a dedicated 30 or 50a outlet for the trailer. Super easy to do when you get your new service panel installed.

And, you can even GFCI protect it with a GFCI breaker if you wish.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for letting us know the resolution.

Excellent plan to use a GFCI plug for the RV which will trip for any future issue and hopefully there won't be any.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Very glad to see you resolved the issue. Been watching your original post.
We had a hot skin issue when parked at a relatives yard, Dog got shocked hard,because of our shoes we didnt. A open neutral fixed easily. Dog had to be lifted into the rig for the rest of his life.