cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Parks charging for water use?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We called a campground in Florida (a Sun resort)regarding a long term stay next winter and were given their prices and the woman said that in addition to their monthly rate and metered electric charge, they are now also charging for water. She said the price was $20-$30 per month depending on amount used. Is this a new trend with RV Parks or is it just this park? This was the first I've heard of there being a charge for water usage.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
61 REPLIES 61

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i'm sure you know that realization is not unique to the kids today. we all went thru that to one extent or another. we were just a couple of dumb kids (19 and 18) when we decided to marry 49-years ago next week. we moved into our first apartment and i went to grab the broom and dustpan to sweep the kitchen. oops. we don't have a broom and dustpan. a small thing but it drove home the point that we weren't in kansas anymore. abt a year later we had another epiphany that led directly to our FIRE status today. but that's a tale for another thread.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I really get amused by all the kids growing up and beginning to find out that there ain't no free lunch. So many have had so much stuff used by them but paid for by someone else, now are getting to the point that they are becoming the ones that pay for it, and it is a shock to their systems. BTW, they are NOT paying for my Social security, I paid into that all my life, and am hoping that it is not stolen again before I quit needing it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
your single family home and a commercial rv park are not the same thing. for one thing commercial water rates are higher than residential. and imagine what your water bill would be if you had 50-100 guests using it.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
So just how much water does someone in a RV use anyway. WOW $125 pre 1000 that is a big rip off and $20-$30 month is really high. My water bill in my stick house is around $15 and that includes the landscaping. We have a dishwasher, washing machine that a most RVers done have. We had to pay .25 for 3 min of hot water in the showers, you could get all of the cold water you wanted in state parks we used to stay at in CA. We would take 2 quarters with us and after a couple of days you got really good at getting a showing in in 3 min. A 10 min shower I dont even do that in my stick house
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

socal
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
socal wrote:
Went to a trailer park Western U.P. Michigan. To use park shower you had to deposit .25cents in the slot for 10 minutes of shower water. 1st I had ever seen a park charging for showers. I won't be going back.

socal, have you never camped in your own State Park campgrounds?
They've been charging for showers, for at least the last 15 years.

My profile is not updated I now live on Lake Superior the upper peninsula of Michigan. I winter in Socal.

socal
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
socal wrote:
You missed the point.
Ok, what is the point?

The point is the RV parks are starting to charge for everything.

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
I anticipate 'a la carte' campground/rv park fees for electric, water, etc... will become much more common in the very near future.
Gotta say, I can't imagine it is going to very often stop me from going anywhere I wish to go.
Don't always like the price of gas at the pump, either. But in the grand scheme of things....definitely not a game changer.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
socal wrote:
Went to a trailer park Western U.P. Michigan. To use park shower you had to deposit .25cents in the slot for 10 minutes of shower water. 1st I had ever seen a park charging for showers. I won't be going back.

socal, have you never camped in your own State Park campgrounds?
They've been charging for showers, for at least the last 15 years.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
be grateful.
at times in the past five years, here in ca some parks just did not have any water.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got me. Typo. 2017.

If I had a Soylent Green gun, I could clean up I4 in no time.

What sucks is I didnโ€™t move here into this mess. LA grew up around ME.

When was a mere lad, there were orange groves everywhere, no I4, no theme parks,
McCoy Field was a Air Force base with B52s stationed there.

Commercial flights had roll up steps.

THEN Disney came and now....
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
...Cheap water is going away in our overpopulated state...

by what measure is FL overpopulated. 2019 estimate is ~20-million with an estimated growth rate of 1.54%.

Our beautiful springs have a rising Ecoli level and some are closed to swimming.

Drive thru Orlando lately? Itโ€™s a driving disaster. Most of the secondary roads are clogged and in poor condition. Meanwhile there are huge cheaply built apartments going up for all the low paying service jobs.

The tourism has lowered the quality of our natural resources for the residents and made going to the beach, camping, restaurants, etc, more expensive crowded and not fun.

I could go on but I wonโ€™t.
So Florida is overpopulated. Sounds like a great time for a lottery. Winners get to stay, losers have to move out of the country (other states don't want your losers). Venezuela would be a good destination since their citizens are leaving in droves leaving their ramshackle shacks behind. The Florida losers could help repopulate that worker's paradise.
As for DisneyWorld, Universal Studios and all the other Orlando attractions Montana will gladly take them all along with the millions of tourists that visit. You see, we tend to see prosperity as a good thing.
And after the US sells Montana to Canada as proposed, those evil tourists and their despicable tourist dollars will leave the US for a country that appreciates them. A week or so later we will send the tourists back but we will keep the dollars forever. Talk about wins for everyone. Florida loses it's largest industry, tourism, Montana ceases to be flyover country and becomes a valuable Canandian Province, the US gets it's Trillion Dollars for selling a state and Venezuela gets repopulated by lottery losers and maybe your precious spring will see the E Coli count go down.

Wow! So making a statement about out of control grtheowth turns into deporting American citizens to Venezuela?

Over react much?

Iโ€™m guessing if you moved the theme parks and their 72 MILLION ANNUAL VISITORS
and all the associated low paying jobs, load on schools and welfare to Montana, there would be complaints. And that was 1917 numbers.
wow, don't have much of a sense of humor do you. So I agree, no sense sending the Florida Lottery Losers to Venezuela. I say sust skip the deportation suggestion, and send the lottery losers to the meat packing plant and turn them into Soylent Green. Population and malnutrition cured in one fell swoop.
BTW, don't think 72 million people visited Florida in 1917, especially since Disney World didn't open until some 54 years later.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
socal wrote:

You must not travel a lot in smaller campgrounds and county/city campgrounds. I wouldn't say they are widespread but not surprised when I do encounter them.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:

by what measure is FL overpopulated. 2019 estimate is ~20-million with an estimated growth rate of 1.54%.

Our beautiful springs have a rising Ecoli level and some are closed to swimming.

Drive thru Orlando lately? Itโ€™s a driving disaster. Most of the secondary roads are clogged and in poor condition. Meanwhile there are huge cheaply built apartments going up for all the low paying service jobs.

The tourism has lowered the quality of our natural resources for the residents and made going to the beach, camping, restaurants, etc, more expensive crowded and not fun.

So Florida is overpopulated. Sounds like a great time for a lottery. Winners get to stay, losers have to move out of the country (other states don't want your losers). Venezuela would be a good destination since their citizens are leaving in droves leaving their ramshackle shacks behind. The Florida losers could help repopulate that worker's paradise.
As for DisneyWorld, Universal Studios and all the other Orlando attractions Montana will gladly take them all along with the millions of tourists that visit. You see, we tend to see prosperity as a good thing.
And after the US sells Montana to Canada as proposed, those evil tourists and their despicable tourist dollars will leave the US for a country that appreciates them. A week or so later we will send the tourists back but we will keep the dollars forever. Talk about wins for everyone. Florida loses it's largest industry, tourism, Montana ceases to be flyover country and becomes a valuable Canandian Province, the US gets it's Trillion Dollars for selling a state and Venezuela gets repopulated by lottery losers and maybe your precious spring will see the E Coli count go down.

Wow! So making a statement about out of control growth turns into deporting American citizens to Venezuela?

Over react much?

Iโ€™m guessing if you moved the theme parks and their 72 MILLION ANNUAL VISITORS
and all the associated low paying jobs, load on schools and welfare to Montana, there would be complaints. And that was 1917 numbers.

out of curiosity, is there a solution?
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:

Wow! So making a statement about out of control growth turns into deporting American citizens to Venezuela?

Over react much?

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.